thanks jay jay.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: Stage Struck, Defender & Fresh Evidence 2012 Reissues

Postby Andrew Smith » 19 Aug 2013, 21:29

Jay Jay wrote:Here's the Stage Struck link Kruno ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stage-Struck-Li ... age+Struck

Thanks, I've found Fresh Evidence as well, which is available to pre-order...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fresh-Evidence- ... +gallagher

The thing is, there's no listing on Amazon UK yet for a 2013 reissue of Defender. I found this version (see below), but it says 2012, although it's has been released on Sony Music CMG according to Amazon UK (the same as the new Stage Struck and Fresh Evidence releases). I thought the RG catalogue was owned by Sony Legacy, so I don't know where Sony CMG have come from. Was this a mistake on Amazon UK's part? And is Defender definitely being reissued in 2013 by Sony Legacy, like the others? If so, what release is this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Remast ... +gallagher

Thanks
Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith

Postby innuendo » 29 Dec 2013, 19:33

i have bought 3 so far and self titled first album is a jewel case and against the grain and calling card are digipacks.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Nixon » 02 Jul 2014, 11:07

Sorry to be a pain, as I am sure this has been covered elsewhere, but as a newbie, I do have a question. The majority of my Rory CDs are the 1999/2000 issues. I am happy with the sound quality on these, and am not worried about bass/treble balance as I have an old graphic equaliser on my stereo and can change the sound if I wish. What I really want to know is which of the 2012 remasters actually feature different versions of the tracks, as I have heard that on some CDs a completely different mix was used which has different verses, harmonica solos etc, and those I would be quite happy to purchase again, as they would be significantly different from the 1999/2000 issues. Hope somebody can help? Thanks!
Nixon

Postby Tokeiihto » 02 Jul 2014, 17:42

Nixon wrote:Sorry to be a pain, as I am sure this has been covered elsewhere, but as a newbie, I do have a question. The majority of my Rory CDs are the 1999/2000 issues. I am happy with the sound quality on these, and am not worried about bass/treble balance as I have an old graphic equaliser on my stereo and can change the sound if I wish. What I really want to know is which of the 2012 remasters actually feature different versions of the tracks, as I have heard that on some CDs a completely different mix was used which has different verses, harmonica solos etc, and those I would be quite happy to purchase again, as they would be significantly different from the 1999/2000 issues. Hope somebody can help? Thanks!

Hm, the only thing that immediately springs to mind is 'Ain't too Good' on 'Against The Grain' which has an altered outro solo as well as its original bridge verse restored on the new reissue. The 1999/2000 version omitted the "It doesn't seem clear what happens from here and now, you've called the tune but maybe soon, someone must pay for the piper" for whatever reason. Another example would be the drumming on 'I'm Not Awake Yet' which is slightly different. Some other songs might vary in regard to when the fade out at the end starts ('Big Guns' being a prime example) in comparison to the first remasters. The most obvious advantage (besides the improved audio quality) of course is the inclusion of "new" songs, for instance the fantastic 'Juke Box Annie' ('Photo Finish') or oddities like 'Where Was I Going To' ('Calling Card').

I'm sure there are other examples, perhaps someone else can chime in.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby Nixon » 02 Jul 2014, 20:01

Thank you, will definitely check these out! :D
Nixon

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Jul 2014, 20:13

Tokeiihto wrote:I'm sure there are other examples, perhaps someone else can chime in.

There sure are..
The Photo Finish album also on the 1999 Tony Arnold remastered. Compared to the original vinyl.
Different words in last verse in Overnight Bag and if you listen careful to Shadow Play, Rory phrases the wording differently too ;)

Tony Arnold sent to me once all the songs he remastered. I was surprised to see a few different takes of same songs. Plus quite a few song titles in the list that I'd never heard before. Unfortunately my old pc crashed and I lost the list of songs there with :(

Btw Nixon, a warm welcome to Rory's LT forum :)
Jay Jay

Postby Nixon » 03 Jul 2014, 19:14

Thank You!!!! :D
Nixon

Previous

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings