Stage Struck, Defender & Fresh Evidence 2012 Reissues

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Stage Struck, Defender & Fresh Evidence 2012 Reissues

Postby Andrew Smith » 28 Oct 2012, 00:11

Hello there fellow Rory fans. This is my very first post.

I have been really pleased over the past few months with the new 2012 Rory Gallagher reissues. However, after the second batch (Against The Grain to Jinx) were released, I've noticed that 1980's Stage Struck, 1987's Defender and 1990's Fresh Evidence are missing from the 2012 reissue series. I feel that this is a bit of an insult to those albums. Once these albums have been reissued under the Sony Legacy label with new 2012 remasters and updated packaging, that will be the complete catalogue reissued. According to quite a reliable source, Daniel Gallagher (who I'm sure most of you know is Rory's nephew) thought it wasn't necessary to reissue these as the reissues of those albums from 1998/99 weren't remixed in the first place, and these new 2012 remasters are being marketed as being the original mixes. This is because alot of the 1998/99 reissues were remixed.

For a start, only Deuce, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Photo Phinish, Top Priority and Jinx were remixed in the late 1990's.

Live in Europe!, Tattoo, Blueprint and Irish Tour were only remastered in the late 1990's and not remixed, however, these albums have been included in the 2012 Sony Legacy series, so to say that Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence weren't reissued because they never were remixed in the late 1990's doesn't make sense. All the albums will benefit from fresh 2012 remastering, regardless of whether they have been previously remastered or not. Audio quality is not the only thing that can improve with a fresh reissue. The artwork and packaging has been brought up-to-date with these new 2012 reissues. They now display the correct record label that owns Rory's back-catologue (Sony Legacy) and they now display the correct website address for the official RG website. Some have additional photos. The previous CD issues were released by BMG, who don't even exist anymore, and the packaging displays a very old and out-of-date Rory Gallagher website address.

During an interview with Daniel Gallagher earlier this year (2012), it sounded as if it was Sony Legacy's idea to put these reissues out, and the reason they wanted to do this was to update the packaging. Here's a bit of the interview:

"Sony approached us saying they’d like to do something with the albums such as updating the artwork as the previous releases had been available for 10-12 years and they felt it could do with some freshening up".

So, the point of this post is to ask the real reason why Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence haven't had the 2012 treatment, and to ask if any other RG fans agree with me when I say that the whole catalogue should be reissued, without missing any albums. I have really been enjoying collecting my favourite RG albums with these new reissues and would love to see these last three missing albums get the treatment they so rightly deserve. NO Rory Gallagher album should be left behind!
Andrew Smith

Re: Stage Struck, Defender & Fresh Evidence 2012 Reissues

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Oct 2012, 14:15

Hi Andrew, a very warm welcome to Rory's Official LT Forum

Very good points put over there for Donal & Daniel to answer. Daniel reads this forum especially this section..
I'm sure he'll give us an answer to your questions soon.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Andrew Smith » 28 Oct 2012, 14:34

Jay Jay wrote:Hi Andrew, a very warm welcome to Rory's Official LT Forum

Very good points put over there for Donal & Daniel to answer. Daniel reads this forum especially this section..
I'm sure he'll give us an answer to your questions soon.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

Thanks very much, and great to hear, and I sure will rock on for Rory.
Andy
Andrew Smith

Postby Andrew Smith » 28 Oct 2012, 20:55

I forgot the mention that Eagle Rock Entertainment in the USA reissued all the RG albums, inlcuding the BBC Sessions album last year (2011). There's a link below. I'm wondering if these were newly remastered in 2011 and whether they inlcude the original mixes or the late 1990's remixes of Deuce, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Photo Finish, Top Priority and Jinx? Eagle Rock Entertainment seem to have presented the catalogue better than Sony Legacy have so far, purely because they have included ALL the albums, although I can't fault the Sony Legacy reissues that have been released this year. I can't comment on the artwork for the Eagle Rock reissues as I don't have copy of any of them. I realise that some of them feature alternative front covers aswell. I would like to hear from other RG fans who agree with me when I say that the three missing albums ( Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence) should be included in the Sony Legacy 2012 reissue series for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

http://www.merchdirect.com/EagleRockEnt ... tistid=928
Andrew Smith

Postby innuendo » 29 Oct 2012, 23:08

Andrew Smith wrote:I forgot the mention that Eagle Rock Entertainment in the USA reissued all the RG albums, inlcuding the BBC Sessions album last year (2011). There's a link below. I'm wondering if these were newly remastered in 2011 and whether they inlcude the original mixes or the late 1990's remixes of Deuce, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Photo Finish, Top Priority and Jinx? Eagle Rock Entertainment seem to have presented the catalogue better than Sony Legacy have so far, purely because they have included ALL the albums, although I can't fault the Sony Legacy reissues that have been released this year. I can't comment on the artwork for the Eagle Rock reissues as I don't have copy of any of them. I realise that some of them feature alternative front covers aswell. I would like to hear from other RG fans who agree with me when I say that the three missing albums ( Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence) should be included in the Sony Legacy 2012 reissue series for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

welcome to the forum and i have to say i agree about what you said about stafe struck, defender and fresh evidence-they deserve to get a treatment like those other albums. it's not cool that those last 2 rory studio albums somehow don't get attention they deserve amongst fan. and those eagle rock 2011 releases are the same as those '99 remixes only with different covers (some of them) and probably different linear notes. i know someone on this forum confirmed that to me a while ago.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Andrew Smith » 29 Oct 2012, 23:41

innuendo wrote:
Andrew Smith wrote:I forgot the mention that Eagle Rock Entertainment in the USA reissued all the RG albums, inlcuding the BBC Sessions album last year (2011). There's a link below. I'm wondering if these were newly remastered in 2011 and whether they inlcude the original mixes or the late 1990's remixes of Deuce, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Photo Finish, Top Priority and Jinx? Eagle Rock Entertainment seem to have presented the catalogue better than Sony Legacy have so far, purely because they have included ALL the albums, although I can't fault the Sony Legacy reissues that have been released this year. I can't comment on the artwork for the Eagle Rock reissues as I don't have copy of any of them. I realise that some of them feature alternative front covers aswell. I would like to hear from other RG fans who agree with me when I say that the three missing albums ( Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence) should be included in the Sony Legacy 2012 reissue series for the reasons I mentioned in my first post.

welcome to the forum and i have to say i agree about what you said about stafe struck, defender and fresh evidence-they deserve to get a treatment like those other albums. it's not cool that those last 2 rory studio albums somehow don't get attention they deserve amongst fan. and those eagle rock 2011 releases are the same as those '99 remixes only with different covers (some of them) and probably different linear notes. i know someone on this forum confirmed that to me a while ago.

Thanks for that. I did half guess that they were just the 1999 remixes repackaged, but I wanted to know for sure. I think I'll leave those and carry on collecting these new 2012 Sony Legacy reissues. Good to hear that I'm not the only person who thinks that those last three albums should get a new reissue. Whilst they're at it, the same could go for the BBC Sessions CD, which was also released in 1999, at the same time as the remixed/remastered albums. The BBC Sessions album was also reissued by Eagle Rock Entertainment in the USA in 2011, so a Sony Leagcy reissue in Europe aswell makes sense. Lets just hope that the powers that be will take note.
Andrew Smith

Postby Jay Jay » 30 Oct 2012, 16:56

Andrew Smith wrote:Lets just hope that the powers that be will take note.

Hi Andy,
The powers that be in the last few days, have been hurricane Sandy..

Daniel Gallagher I believe is in New York at this moment in time..
Here's hoping he's ok there. So it may well take a little longer to answer these questions now, than I first thought?
Jay Jay

Postby Andrew Smith » 30 Oct 2012, 20:44

Jay Jay wrote:
Andrew Smith wrote:Lets just hope that the powers that be will take note.

Hi Andy,
The powers that be in the last few days, have been hurricane Sandy..

Daniel Gallagher I believe is in New York at this moment in time..
Here's hoping he's ok there. So it may well take a little longer to answer these questions now, than I first thought?

Keeping safe and well at this time is alot more important than answering questions on here. It sounds alot more serious than they thought it was going to be. Major blackouts aswell. Answering my question will wait for a more suitable time.

Regards
Andy
Andrew Smith

Postby Andrew Smith » 09 Nov 2012, 02:41

Is there anymore news on whether we will get new 2012/13 reissues of Stagestruck, Defender and Fresh Evidence on the Sony Legacy label? I'm listening to Fresh Evidence as I type this. I never liked this album at first, but it has grown on me alot.
Andrew Smith

Postby Andrew Smith » 26 Jan 2013, 01:15

I've yet to hear anything from any of the powers that be about why Stagestruck, Defender & Fresh Evidence weren't included in the 2012 reissue series. Whether they were the original mixes or not, fresh remastering would've been a great benefit to these albums, aswell as updated packaging. I can't help feel that Rory's catalogue won't be complete until these last three albums get the 2012 treatment. All of Rory's albums deserve to be treated the same, and no album should get preferential treatment. I really hope that whoever decided to release these reissues seriously reconsiders the decision to neglect Stagestruck, Defender & Fresh Evidence. None of Rory's albums derserve to be neglected.
Andrew Smith

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings