Live at Montreux DVD Problem

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Live at Montreux DVD Problem

Postby Yoyodyne » 05 Jul 2012, 16:23

I have now bought three copies of this DVD, and on all of them there are serious sound quality problems. The worst offender is the 1979 performance of "Shin Kicker." I first saw this performance on YouTube and was absolutely blown away by it, it's incredibly good. But the DVD (from which the performance on YouTube must surely have come), is muffled and has constant changes in volume, as though a compressor is cycling on and off.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know I'm not imagining it, I can play the YouTube and DVD performances of "Shin Kicker" side by side and the YouTube one is much clearer and more consistent in volume.

This is very frustrating, I think "Shin Kicker" is one of Rory's most joyous and endearing performances.
Yoyodyne

Re: Live at Montreux DVD Problem

Postby Mandyl » 05 Jul 2012, 20:50

That must be really frustrating but I have to say I haven't noticed it on my copy. Has anyone else? Where do you buy your DVDs from Yoyodyne?
Mandyl

Postby Sinner Girl » 05 Jul 2012, 21:00

I have not noticed anything as such. I have the original copy and downloaded from the net, both DVDs are working perfectly ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Yoyodyne » 06 Jul 2012, 04:57

I bought the first one from Amazon (I'm in the United States) earlier this year, and had to return it. I thought maybe there was just a bad batch of DVDs, so I waited a few months, then bought the second one from a local, independent record shop. Same problem, had to return that one as well. Waited another few months, figured that would be enough time for a bad batch to have been completely cleared from inventory in the US, so I ordered the third from Amazon and it has the same problem.

It's definitely most obvious on "Shin Kicker," though a couple of other songs from that same time period (1979) on the DVD sound a bit off. What I cannot understand is why the version on YouTube sounds completely normal. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazzTFxXGeE

I'd be interested to see if anyone else could/would listen to their DVD copy and this YouTube version of "Shin KIcker" and tell me if they notice any difference in the audio quality.

Thanks to all for your help!
Yoyodyne

Postby innuendo » 06 Jul 2012, 16:50

mine version is normal as far as i recall. try order it from amazon.co.uk
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby fenderbass » 09 Jul 2012, 11:23

Check your audio settings on the DVD main menu.
There's a choice of dolby 2, dolby 5.1 and DTS.
Try each one in turn to see if there is any improvement in sound.
If no improvement, then check your audio settings on your TV and surround sound speaker system if you have one.
fenderbass

Postby Yoyodyne » 21 Dec 2012, 22:59

Update:
I figured out what was causing the sound problem, and it wasn't the DVD. Apple includes a program called "DVD Player" with its computers, and after rooting around in the program's Preferences I found the source of the lousy audio. Under "Disc Settings" there's a checkbox that reads "Disable Dolby dynamic range compression" and by default the box is NOT CHECKED (!), so that compression is turned ON by default. Once I disabled the compression the great sound of the Montreux performances was restored. I hope whatever bonehead at Apple who decided to make the default setting be compression ON got a royal chewing out...
Yoyodyne

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings