RORY GALLAGHER ~ Remastered Editions

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ Remastered Editions

Postby Jay Jay » 16 May 2011, 10:57

slipkid wrote:(except for LIVE IN EUROPE & DEUCE; I forget now, were they as one double set on Intercord?? I can't recall).

Hi Slipkid, a very warm welcome to the Rory forum.

You have made quiet a few very interesting posts. Quiet alot to take in at one go to answer a few of your questions..
I have all Rory's vinyl and first issue cd's on intercord also. The others first issues cd's, as I said on and earlier post, were with Castle Communications. 2CD's Live In Europe with Stage Struck and Tattoo with Blueprint.

Cheers, Jay Jay

PS. They released a set of Rory Japanese re issue albums / cd's sometime back. You'll have to checkout if the are same as original recordings?
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 16 May 2011, 12:36

japanese reissues of many artists albums almost always sound the best
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby slipkid » 16 May 2011, 18:49

Jay Jay wrote:You have made quiet a few very interesting posts. Quiet alot to take in at one go to answer a few of your questions..
I have all Rory's vinyl and first issue cd's on intercord also. The others first issues cd's, as I said on and earlier post, were with Castle Communications. 2CD's Live In Europe with Stage Struck and Tattoo with Blueprint.

Thanks - that makes sense. Looking at my Rory shelf now I realize I am missing my original Intercord Stage Struck too. So that was what was paired with Live in Europe!! Do you remember if Deuce was on Intercord, if it was a single disc or what? Because I don't have that one except the remaster - I must have sold the Intercord for that too (or maybe never had it?? I can't remember)....
slipkid

Postby richard » 02 Aug 2011, 04:03

billythev wrote:Hi There
I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has been covered before.

I 'discovered' Rory in 1977, after my elder brother had been to see Irish Tour 74 (double bill with a Quo film), and was so impressed he went out and bought a live album (he couldn't find Irish Tour so he got Live in Europe instead). As a 14 year old just picking up a guitar for the first time, I was blown away - it was clearly what had been missing in my life.

I then went out and got hold of as much Rory music and info as I could. Then the great news came that a new album was on its way - Photo Finish. When it came out, I wore the vinyl out. I absolutely loved that record, and still do - it's 'my' Rory album.

So the years went by, I had to buy another copy. Then the CD's versions of Rory albums started to appear - but no Photo Finish (or Deuce). So I had to wait another few years before the remastered versions came along. Eventually they did, and again Photo Finish blew me away; the depth of the sound now was much more intense.

However, I was disappointed with 2 things; Overnight Bag and (particularly) Fuel to the Fire were different. The remix of OB had put another verse in, and F2TF had the harmony guitar on the into riff as well as the outro. And while it's interesting to have these remixes, I don't half miss the originals.

Similar things happened on Deuce (tremelo on solo on Crest of a Wave), Against the Grain (sorry but All Around Man sounds like a jammed version) and Jinx (Bourbon suffers from different levels of various instruments).

Please don't think this is a complaint; I thought it was fantastic that someone had the time and inclination to put the effort into to remix those albums and get them back on the shelves. And like I wore out the vinyl, I actually wore out the CD's on a couple of those remasters. But some of those songs were part of my youth, and the memory of them is almost sacred for me.

I did manage to get pre-remix versions of Against the Grain and Jinx (from Germany I think), so I still managed to get the 'original' song (now preserved on my hard drive). Did anyone get a Photo Finish? If not, has anyone heard whether the original mix will be available anywhere anytime?

==================================================================================================================================================

Photo Finish is my favorite Rory album, the first of his LP's that I bought. I listened to it so much I could hear it in my sleep. When the CD version came out, I got a copy and was throughly confused and disappointed when I heard it. The extra verse on Overnight Bag was interesting -- apparently it was written that way originally because it appears that way on Notes From San Francisco. All of the tracks are different from the LP versions to some degree, but most obvious are Fuel to the Fire and The Mississippi Sheiks -- they both have exaggerated, muddy bass mixed in. In my opinion, the remix ruins the feeling of Fuel to the Fire.

Don't get me wrong, an artist has every right to remix his own work, but Rory did not do these remixes -- engineers Tony Arnold and Colin Fairley are responsible for them, and they were done long after Rory's death. Altering Rory's original recordings was not only a disservice to music fans by misrepresenting Rory's work, it is in effect rewriting musical history -- and it is an insult to Rory's musical legacy. I'm getting down from my soapbox now. The original Photo Finish rocks!!
==================================================================================================================================================
richard

Postby lonelymile » 02 Aug 2011, 17:16

I just got two of the remasters from Eagle Rock, Jinx and Calling Card. (they were at a really good price, and I wanted to hear if there was a difference.) They sound incredible, even to my non-expert ears, really rich sounding and a big improvement over the CD releases on BMG or Buddha. Of course I am at a disadvantage because I have unfortunately never heard any of the original vinyl recordings. I know lots of people are absolutely loyal to vinyl. But if you want Rory on CD, the latest releases are wonderful.
lonelymile

Postby innuendo » 02 Aug 2011, 22:05

lonelymile wrote:I just got two of the remasters from Eagle Rock, Jinx and Calling Card. (they were at a really good price, and I wanted to hear if there was a difference.) They sound incredible, even to my non-expert ears, really rich sounding and a big improvement over the CD releases on BMG or Buddha. Of course I am at a disadvantage because I have unfortunately never heard any of the original vinyl recordings. I know lots of people are absolutely loyal to vinyl. But if you want Rory on CD, the latest releases are wonderful.

didn't donal (or daniel) say that it's the same thing (audio wise) like the '99 releases? this is just for american market
innuendo

Postby lonelymile » 02 Aug 2011, 22:30

innuendo wrote:
lonelymile wrote:I just got two of the remasters from Eagle Rock, Jinx and Calling Card. (they were at a really good price, and I wanted to hear if there was a difference.) They sound incredible, even to my non-expert ears, really rich sounding and a big improvement over the CD releases on BMG or Buddha. Of course I am at a disadvantage because I have unfortunately never heard any of the original vinyl recordings. I know lots of people are absolutely loyal to vinyl. But if you want Rory on CD, the latest releases are wonderful.

didn't donal (or daniel) say that it's the same thing (audio wise) like the '99 releases? this is just for american market

Hi Innuendo. The content is exactly the same, I don't think anything was remixed or changed. But they do sound better to me. Maybe it's just that the latest issues are just more technically advanced? I just find the sound is fuller and a lot warmer. Has anyone else done a comparison? I'd love to know what they think.
lonelymile

Postby slipkid » 03 Aug 2011, 01:04

lonelymile wrote:
innuendo wrote:

Hi Innuendo. The content is exactly the same, I don't think anything was remixed or changed. But they do sound better to me. Maybe it's just that the latest issues are just more technically advanced? I just find the sound is fuller and a lot warmer. Has anyone else done a comparison? I'd love to know what they think.

Unless they've been remixed (which is highly unlikely) or remastered (more likely, such as a different EQ or compression/levels etc) from some kind of analog tape of the past ones, they should sound exactly the same.

Are the credits any different on these news??? For example, the 2000 version of Jinx was credited as "Remixed and remastered by Tony Arnold" and "CD mastering - Andy Pearce".

Do you have the past versions to compare to? Or are you just going from memory? Because the mind can play tricks on us. I can post EAC peak levels of the 2000 Jinx; if you post the levels of the newest ones and they don't match then we'll know for sure something is different.
slipkid

Postby innuendo » 03 Aug 2011, 09:58

they should be the same, probably the only new thing is the actual cover and booklet
innuendo

Postby smudge » 27 Jan 2013, 03:56

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I'm brand new to the forum this week...

Just bought the 2012 remasters (which, for a variety of reasons, will replace the 1999 series in my collection) and was curious to see that the bonus tracks have disappeared from Deuce (Persuasion) & Calling Card (Rue The Day & Public Enemy (B-Girl)).

Was this done because the same three takes/tracks appear on Notes From SF, i.e. ARE they the same takes?
smudge

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings