Postby rory » 10 Apr 2011, 10:06

Bang on.

Rory :D :) ;) 8-)
rory

Re: Remastered Editions

Postby Jay Jay » 10 Apr 2011, 11:10

rory wrote:Bang on.

Rory :D :) ;) 8-)

Hi Rory, your comments are welcome but this one is a little vague, being as we've gone to another page. You should have added the quote, you were refering to, just like I have so that it makes sense ;)

Cheers, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby billythev » 12 Apr 2011, 10:32

There's clearly still a lot of feeling about the re-mastered editions then. By and large the re-masters are faithful to the vinyl editions. There are a few exceptions - I listed some obvious ones, Jay Jay came up with some more, and I'm sure if you studied hard you could find some more.

The fact that someone took the time to re-master them is great, and it must have been a difficult task; getting the right take, getting the right mix, trying to avoid putting you own artiistic spin on them (i.e. mixing them like somebody else did many years before, on much different technology), etc.

As I said before, the re-masters are interesting and great to have. However, I still maintain that there is a demand for the 'originals', even though some cynics might say its profiteering. Maybe this is something forum members might want to help fund if they feel passionate about it, much in the same way that Marillion make their albums with fans money.
billythev

Postby walesdad » 25 Apr 2011, 13:55

I have been away from this board for a long time,in fact I don't think I've posted on this new board at all,but I've been appalled at some of the stuff I'm reading about the rereleasing of Rory's work.Alternate takes replacing the originals on some releases of albums?Full remix jobs done on all of these releases?Different artwork to the original issue of Rory's albums?And now we have music Rory rejected for release coming out in deluxe editions.What next,maybe postumous strings and choirs added to Rory's music or maybe a hip hop beat? This is not treating the man's music with respect,this is trampling all over it.I've got nothing against the release of archive live material,radio or TV sessions and an album of Rory's acoustic demo's would be a joy to listen too I'm sure,but this retrospective playing around and altering the man's music,the music that he was happy to release when he was still on earth,I've no time for.This will probably get me banned,but to be honest I could not care less,respect is not being given to the memory of Rory Gallagher here with some of these practises.
walesdad

Postby Jay Jay » 26 Apr 2011, 10:40

walesdad wrote:I have been away from this board for a long time,in fact I don't think I've posted on this new board at all,but I've been appalled at some of the stuff I'm reading about the rereleasing of Rory's work.Alternate takes replacing the originals on some releases of albums?Full remix jobs done on all of these releases?Different artwork to the original issue of Rory's albums?And now we have music Rory rejected for release coming out in deluxe editions.What next,maybe postumous strings and choirs added to Rory's music or maybe a hip hop beat? This is not treating the man's music with respect,this is trampling all over it.I've got nothing against the release of archive live material,radio or TV sessions and an album of Rory's acoustic demo's would be a joy to listen too I'm sure,but this retrospective playing around and altering the man's music,the music that he was happy to release when he was still on earth,I've no time for.This will probably get me banned,but to be honest I could not care less,respect is not being given to the memory of Rory Gallagher here with some of these practises.

Hi Walesdad
No you won't get banned for these comments. Alternative views are welcome as long as they are not disrespectful to anyone.

Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby Sinner Girl » 26 Apr 2011, 12:13

@walesdad Everyone has different opinions, but I respect your opinion.

Milka
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby lonelymile » 29 Apr 2011, 21:25

walesdad wrote:What next,maybe postumous strings and choirs added to Rory's music or maybe a hip hop beat?

I imagine it might be the reverse - there will be less, not more.

regarding Notes from San Francisco, I would love to be able to hear the original version that Rory binned, so I could compare it to the new release. I have an idea that there hasn't been anything added, but quite a bit has been taken away, possibly in the manner of the Beatles' "Let It Be, Naked", which was "de-Spectorized", removing the excesses of Phil Spector's original production.

From what I've read, it sounds like Rory was increasingly irritated with his original "Torch" production, maybe feeling it was too elaborate. I also read that "Brute Force and Ignorance," in the original version, was supposed to have a mariachi band! So, maybe "Notes from SF" is the result of a big stripdown job that the Gallaghers feel is more in line with what Rory originally wanted. It was probably a pretty big challenge, but maybe when we hear it we'll know exactly why Rory binned it in the first place. Personally I can't wait, I'm so curious. Also anxious to hear the live extras. For someone like me, who never got to see Rory live, any new live material is intensely exciting.
lonelymile

Re: RORY GALLAGHER ~ Remastered Editions

Postby innuendo » 30 Apr 2011, 20:14

i must say that i prefer let it be.. naked over spector's version of let it be with all that wall of sound, something less is more. i don't think we'll get stripped down version on new rory's cd, rue the day from new album doesn't sound that way.i think photo finish album is more stripped down version of the album cos rory wanted to get back to meat and potatoes rock and roll and he changed his band and there were no more keyboards. we'll probably get an album with wider sound cos of lou's keyboards and i prefer rod's drumming over ted's.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby lonelymile » 01 May 2011, 06:30

Hi Innuendo, yes you could be right. Not too much longer to wait...

I prefer Let It Be, Naked too over the original.
lonelymile

Postby slipkid » 16 May 2011, 02:59

Yes, the new "remasters" are also remixed, and in some cases sound VERY different from the original album versions that came out originally on vinyl and CD.

I love hearing different versions of old favorites so I don't have a problem with the powers that be releasing remixes, and I love the new remixes, but I also want to be able to hear the original versions that I heard hundreds of time too.

I had NO IDEA when I bought the remasters that they were remixes. I don't think it is acknowledged on the artwork (if it is there I didn't notice it anyways).

After buying the "remasters" I started to then sell my original West German Intercord CDs. Luckily before I had sold too many I realized that the new ones were different and I stopped selling my originals - and was able to rebuy used versions of the ones I had already sold (except for LIVE IN EUROPE & DEUCE; I forget now, were they as one double set on Intercord?? I can't recall).

Unfortunately though Photo-finish was never released on Intercord, so the only version of that on CD is the remix/remaster.

I haven't kept my old vinyl so now I can't hear Photo-finish like it was originally released. I actually hope that someone goes back & re-releases Photo-finish as the original mix, so we can have the best of both worlds on CD (both the original and the remix).
slipkid

PreviousNext

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings