RORY GALLAGHER ~ Remastered Editions

Who's that calling way out there? I've got your signal loud and clear

RORY GALLAGHER ~ Remastered Editions

Postby billythev » 07 Apr 2011, 12:03

Hi There
I'm new to the forum so apologies if this has been covered before.

I 'discovered' Rory in 1977, after my elder brother had been to see Irish Tour 74 (double bill with a Quo film), and was so impressed he went out and bought a live album (he couldn't find Irish Tour so he got Live in Europe instead). As a 14 year old just picking up a guitar for the first time, I was blown away - it was clearly what had been missing in my life.

I then went out and got hold of as much Rory music and info as I could. Then the great news came that a new album was on its way - Photo Finish. When it came out, I wore the vinyl out. I absolutely loved that record, and still do - it's 'my' Rory album.

So the years went by, I had to buy another copy. Then the CD's versions of Rory albums started to appear - but no Photo Finish (or Deuce). So I had to wait another few years before the remastered versions came along. Eventually they did, and again Photo Finish blew me away; the depth of the sound now was much more intense.

However, I was disappointed with 2 things; Overnight Bag and (particularly) Fuel to the Fire were different. The remix of OB had put another verse in, and F2TF had the harmony guitar on the into riff as well as the outro. And while it's interesting to have these remixes, I don't half miss the originals.

Similar things happened on Deuce (tremelo on solo on Crest of a Wave), Against the Grain (sorry but All Around Man sounds like a jammed version) and Jinx (Bourbon suffers from different levels of various instruments).

Please don't think this is a complaint; I thought it was fantastic that someone had the time and inclination to put the effort into to remix those albums and get them back on the shelves. And like I wore out the vinyl, I actually wore out the CD's on a couple of those remasters. But some of those songs were part of my youth, and the memory of them is almost sacred for me.

I did manage to get pre-remix versions of Against the Grain and Jinx (from Germany I think), so I still managed to get the 'original' song (now preserved on my hard drive). Did anyone get a Photo Finish? If not, has anyone heard whether the original mix will be available anywhere anytime?
billythev

Re: Remastered Editions

Postby Jay Jay » 07 Apr 2011, 16:02

Hi Billy and welcome on the boards :)

Yes I know what you mean about the remastered CD's not being sometimes the same take to song as the originals ..
I spotted the obvious ones like you've mentioned, having bought all the original RG vinyls from the early 70's. Shadow Play from Photo Finish is not as obvious a different take as Fuel to The Fire and Overnight Bag is. As I said recently Tony Arnold who did the remasterng and remixing for these CD's, did come on the old Rory forum a few years back. He did explain some things then, but some folk annoyed him and he left. Which was a pity I thought. He did give me the list of all Rory songs with very often two takes of each song. Also as I said before, there was about 12 songs I'd never even heard of?
Re the first edition CD's on Intercord or Demon Records. There were only maybe 10 released like the original album. Let me think, I'll have to confirm and re check all of these .. Rory Gallagher .. Irish Tour '74 .. Aganist The Grain .. Calling Card .. Top Priority.. Jinx .. Also they issued some other orginals on Castle Communications 2CD's Tattoo & Blueprint .. Live in Europe & Stage Struck.

I'll come back to you after I've checked. I hope this helps.
Rock on for Rory ;)

PS.I forgot that there was also Defender and Fresh Evidence as first issue CD's
Jay Jay

Postby billythev » 07 Apr 2011, 16:47

Thanks for the reply Jay Jay

Bring back vinyl is what I say. I've got signed versions of Irish Tour and Jinx - treasured possessions - and you just can't get a decent signature on something the size of a CD case (and also for obvious reasons on Rory's .... :-(

I've tried doing the old 'convert vinyl to mp3' trick, but its only as good as your equipment, and mine at the time wasn't great. Did anyone have any success with that?
billythev

Postby Sinner Girl » 07 Apr 2011, 18:39

Welcome on forum billy

I must admit that I prefer to listen to music on Lp's for me is better sound i have some music on remastered cd's, and to me is music too much digital sound :D .Now i only bay Lp's :D.
Last edited by Sinner Girl on 08 Apr 2011, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby innuendo » 08 Apr 2011, 05:47

i never had a chance to listen to rory albums on vinyl. are all songs on remastered cd albums remixed? or just some of them? surely not all songs are remixed cos fans would be furious like with big guns compilation
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Apr 2011, 13:13

innuendo wrote:i never had a chance to listen to rory albums on vinyl. are all songs on remastered cd albums remixed? or just some of them? surely not all songs are remixed cos fans would be furious like with big guns compilation

Hi Kruno, Yes all songs were remastered / remixed on these CD's by Tony Arnold.
There are very few tracks, on all the albums remastered. IMHO, that are a great difference to the vinyl original recordings.
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 08 Apr 2011, 14:57

i didn't know that. i don't know how donal let that happen. surely rory would like that his music/art was in the original form
innuendo

Postby Sinner Girl » 08 Apr 2011, 15:07

innuendo wrote:i didn't know that. i don't know how donal let that happen. surely rory would like that his music/art was in the original form

I must agree with you innuendo :D :D
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Apr 2011, 19:08

Jay Jay wrote:IMHO, that are a great difference to the vinyl original recordings.

SORRY! what I meant by this is THERE "IS NOT" A GREAT DIFFERENCE between the remastered CD's and vinyl originals :)
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 09 Apr 2011, 05:39

if they were only remastered they could maybe boost the bass, make some instruments more audible... but if all the songs were remixed then there are some instruments or sounds that are not on original versions. am i right?
innuendo

Next

Return to Rory Gallagher & Taste TV & Radio Material... All Studio & LIve Recordings