This Day in Rory History, 06 December

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

On this date in Rory history 12/6...

Postby roryfan » 06 Dec 2011, 11:48

Were you there?
12/6/1968 Welwyn Garden City GB Bluesville`68 Club
12/6/1968 Tottenham GB Sisters Club
12/6/1971 Liverpool GB Top Rank with Osibisa / Brian Auger
12/6/1973 Portsmouth GB The Guildhall
12/6/1974 Newcastle GB City Hall
12/6/1976 Hempstead USA Calderone Theatre with Be Bop Deluxe in support
12/6/1979 La Crosse USA M. Sawyer Auditorium
12/6/1982 Boston USA The Gardens Tour with Rush
12/6/1988 Leeds GB Polytechnic
12/6/1992 Aalen D Stadthalle
john g http://www.roryon.com
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.html
have you signed?
roryfan

Re: On this date in Rory history 12/6...

Postby photofinish » 06 Dec 2011, 22:48

Leeds Poly,6/12/1988/..... great gig..... and unfortunatley the last time i ever spoke to Rory...was in great form after the gig....repeatdley taking the mickey out of Gerry's Hair..... he asked me to call Gerry,Adam Ant.... which i did.... Rory was in stitches when i did..... great memory's for me,when i left,Rory said he hoped he would see me again soon.... i never did speak to him again.... :( :( :( ...... but he did give me a smile at Nottingham Rock City,19/12/1990/.... :) :) :)
photofinish

Re: On this date in Rory history 12/6...

Postby Chris OK » 09 Dec 2011, 02:35

:^ )

He really was a musician for the people. This does not happen often in life this kind of man.
Chris OK

On this date in Rory history: December 6

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Dec 2012, 12:34

On this date in Rory history: December 6
Were you there? Have any stories? Any new information?
12/6/1968 Welwyn Garden City GB Bluesville`68 Club
12/6/1968 Tottenham GB Sisters Club
12/6/1971 Liverpool GB op Rank with Osibisa / Brian Auger
12/6/1973 Portsmouth GB The Guildhall
12/6/1974 Newcastle GB City Hall
12/6/1976 Hempstead USA Calderone Theatre
with Be Bop Deluxe in support
12/6/1979 La Crosse USA M. Sawyer Auditorium
12/6/1982 Boston USA The Gardens Tour with Rush
12/6/1988 Leeds GB Polytechnic
12/6/1992 Aalen D Stadthalle
john g http://www.roryon.com
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.html
Jay Jay

Re: On this date in Rory history: December 6

Postby fenderbass » 06 Dec 2012, 15:03

Newcastle City Hall, Friday, 6th December, 1974.
Having been lucky enough to meet Rory after his show in Blackpool the previous day, me and my mate headed for Newcastle, the next date for Rory on this UK tour.
What I remember from this show was Rory's start to Tattoo'd Lady. He started with guitar only, the familiar chopy rhythm, chord strumming, which you can hear on recordings of Tattoo'd Lady from around this time. The crowd started clapping along and after a while Rory stopped playing and sang the first line of 'Kung Foo Fighting', (which had been in the pop charts earlier in 1974). Rory had a huge grin and looked out as if to say 'you didn't expect to hear that!' he then continued with Tattoo'd Lady. (if you listen to Kung Foo Fighting you can hear the guitar does a similar rhythm to Rory's intro to Tattoo'd Lady).
After the show and armed with our backstage passes which Donal gave us in Blackpool, we headed for the stage door.
Again, the pictures tell the rest of the story.

ticket stub

rory, my mate and me

me and lou

gerry

rod

lou

rory
fenderbass

Postby Flamenca » 06 Dec 2012, 15:12

12/6/1971 Liverpool GB Top Rank with Osibisa / Brian Auger

I was there ... except it wasn't at the Top Rank (they cancelled as they didn't want their lovely ball room turned into a mosh pit by rock fans). The show was re-located to the Royal Court Theatre as I recall. I might be wrong, but it definitely wasn't at the Top Rank. It was a night I will never forget, etched indelibly upon my memory for personal reasons ... my first ever date :lol: first ever gig :D

We got there just as it was about to begin. The place was packed to the rafters with an enthusiastic crowd. We were at the back due to being just about the last in. Looking at the stage, Rory was on the right, Wilgar in the middle, Gerry on the left. I was expecting a brass section as I thought they would be a kind of show band not a rock/pop group :roll: :lol: I said to my new boyfriend Brian "who are those lads?" He replied "They're the band!" I was a bit baffled and still looking for the brass players in coloured blazers like I'd seen proper grown up 'bands' wear on the telly ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) when Rory et al. launched into the first number. Then to Rory's shock and the crowd's amusement ... the pa blew up and I think an amp might have started smoking. It was the top one on a stack behind Gerry.

Rory and Gerry looked at each other, kind of embarrassed and giggling whilst someone bustled around behind them. Rory started doing that hopping thing he used to do when anxious, kind of hopping sideways from one foot to the other, and giggling quite a bit.

After about 10 minutes the crowd started getting antsy, and called out "Play" "Play". Rory said "only a few more minutes", but the crowd weren't happy. Fights were starting to break out at the back. I was a bit scared. Rory then picked up an acoustic - I think it was his Martin, and played acoustically for about another 10 minutes or so. Everyone had to keep really quiet to hear him, so the crowd calmed down at that point. He was fabulous. A night never to be forgotten. Osibisa were huge fun as well. I don't remember Brian Auger turning up. Maybe he came on after we left. I don't know ... Anyway, the memory of that night will stay with me forever. Brian and I dated for three and half years ...
Flamenca

Postby Flamenca » 06 Dec 2012, 15:17

Loved all of your photos Fenderbass. I don't think we ever took any photos of anything so it's great to see yours. We certainly never went back stage to anything ... didn't want to impose! Not that I think it is imposing, we were just not that confident in those days ...
Flamenca

Postby fenderbass » 06 Dec 2012, 16:06

Good to hear story of Liverpool gig Flamenca.
I was about 17 years old when going to those earlier concerts and it was a case of a 'give it a go' attitude in order to meet our hero.
If we got rejected by the stewards or doormen then it didn't matter, we tried anyway.
We were just lucky getting to know Donal by talking to him at the sound mixer at the back of the hall when the shows finished.
The pictures mean a lot to me now, especially since Rory's passing.
I have a pile of Rory memorabelia and have started to get it in some order, so I decided to put the pictures on here for other fans to see.
When I read my own posts on here I think it looks like 'look at me' 'look what I've got'. But it's not meant to be like that at all. I was just lucky to have done those things and rather than have my Rory stuff stuck in boxes in the back of a cupboard I decided to share it with other fans on this forum.
( if I owned a pub, I would have everything up on the walls, like the Meeting Place in Middleton had or John Browne in Ziggy's Bar in Cork has now).
fenderbass

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Dec 2012, 02:40

It's fun to see everyone's photos from back then- keep posting them please! Funny, the 70s don't seem like that long ago, but the years do age and fade the pigment in them.
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 07 Dec 2012, 11:18

Thank you very much fenderbass for sharing your stories and memories with us! Great photos! Nice to see band in good mod!

jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Next

Return to This Day in Rory Gallagher History