This Day in Rory History, 24 November

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

on this date in Rory history 11/24..

Postby roryfan » 24 Nov 2011, 14:44

Were you there?
11/24/1969 Dunstable GB Civic Hall with Man
11/24/1971 London GB BBC Studios Drummond Show
11/24/1973 Liverpool GB Stadium
11/24/1976 Portland,OR USA Paramount Theatre
11/24/1978 Atlanta,GA USA Agora Ballroom
11/24/1981 Reading GB University
11/24/1987 Dortmund D Westfalenhalle II
john g http://www.roryon.com
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.html
have you signed?
roryfan

Re: on this date in Rory history 11/24..

Postby Back to the 70s » 25 Mar 2012, 11:01

11/24/1973 Liverpool GB Stadium - a Saturday. I was there, my first Rory concert and my first ever live concert, although I'm somewhat perplexed as to how I came to be there, so please indulge me.

I was 17½ at the time and should have been at school - at school because it was a boarding school in Shropshire and as far as I remember we were only allowed out on Sundays. Maybe we were allowed out overnight from Saturday to Sunday on special dispensation - it was too long a time ago to be able to remember such refinements! I took an A-level that term but, if that was before the Liverpool gig, I can't believe that I would have been allowed to leave early as the term must surely have carried on to mid December. A mystery.

Another mystery is how I got to Liverpool and back - to wherever! I may well have passed my driving test by then but wouldn't have been allowed to take my mother's mini all that way and back in the dark. I didn't go with anyone. I went to Liverpool University in 1974 but I seem to remember an isolated incident that preceded that: there was me, longish hair, Civil Defence greatcoat and denims, having a piss at a urinal in a toilet (probably in a pub but may have been a public toilet) very close to Lime Street station, possibly just along Lime Street, and a man at the next urinal starts peering over, trying to look at my todger. A memorable incident because it was somewhat unnerving and never happened before nor since. Anyway, I'm sure this was before I went to uni in Liverpool, so I suppose I had got there by train. However, how I got away after the gig is a complete mystery. I certainly didn't stay overnight in Liverpool as I'd surely remember that. Maybe the trains ran late into the night. I used to travel quite a bit by train in my late teens so a train journey, even a late night one-off back from Liverpool, wouldn't have been particularly special. I presume I got to the gig and back by bus.

As to why Liverpool rather than a closer gig such as Wolverhampton, Birmingham, or even Manchester, if Rory played any of those places in that tour, well that was probably because the gig in Liverpool was on a Saturday.

Which brings me to the gig itself. With all this mystery about what I was doing in Liverpool when I should have been at school, you may be thinking that I've got it all mixed up! Well, no. I took a portable cassette recorder with me and recorded the whole gig except for messin' up (pun here!) with the opening song. It was a lousy recording - mostly bass, thudding and shouts and clapping from the crowd near me - because I'd put the recorder on the floor at my feet and covered it with the greatcoat so that no one would see it and try to make off with it. Remember, this was Liverpool! And cassette recorders weren't so cheap in those days. The tape is gone now, possibly it got caught in a machine and reeled itself off. No great loss as the sound quality was truly atrocious. Anyway, whilst the tape itself is gone, I still have the cassette and the cassette box - which is how I come to know a lot about what happened at the gig, because I wrote the details on the card insert.

The Stadium was a boxing venue. The stage that the band played on was the base of the boxing ring and the audience was in the half of the arena facing the stage. I've just found this link to the nostalgia of the Stadium as a rock venue - http://www.liverpoolstadium-rockyears.com/id16.html - and it reminds me that Stryder was the support act. I don't remember much about them except that they weren't bad, but then I was really only waiting for Rory to come on. My illustration of what was where on stage was noted in a rectangle - a case of my perspective of the stage and my naivety about it being on a (square) boxing ring! Anyway, this is where everything was:

• Big bank of speakers, amps, etc along most of the back of the stage
  • Rod de'Ath right in the middle of the stage
  • Lou Martin to the audience's right of Rod
  • Gerry McAvoy just to the left and front of Rod
  • Rory at the front (of course), in the middle
  • Speakers at the front two corners, facing out from the corners

The playlist was:

1. Messin' with the Kid
  2. Hands Off
  3. I Wonder Who (I had noted this as "Who's Gonna be your Sweet Man when I'm Gone" as this was before Irish Tour '74 was released and I'd only heard Rory do this song before on the London Muddy Waters Sessions album)
  4. Cradle Rock
  5. Walk on Hot Coals
  6. A Million Miles Away
  7. Tattoo'd Lady
  8. As the Crow Flies
  9. Pistol Slapper Blues
  10. Going to my Home Town
  11. Who's that Comin'
  12. In your Town
  13. 1st encore: Bullfrog Blues
  14. 2nd encore: Laundromat
Songs 1-7 were played on Stratocaster, 8-9 acoustic, 10 mandolin and 11-14 on Telecaster
Back to the 70s

Postby innuendo » 25 Mar 2012, 19:16

that's a great story man.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Flamenca » 25 Mar 2012, 23:40

I was at the Liverpool gig too. I don't remember much about it either other than what Back to the 70s has recalled about the layout of the stage. This has made me realise that it must have been 1974 when Rory was supported by Roland Van Campenhout. I'd been wondering which year it was for a while now ...
Flamenca

Postby Sinner Girl » 26 Mar 2012, 00:52

Great story Back to the 70s ;),

I really enjoyed while I was reading
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby asdesas » 26 Mar 2012, 06:33

Thanks for that wonderfully detailed trip down Memory Lane!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Back to the 70s » 26 Mar 2012, 07:47

Glad you enjoyed the story.

Hi Flamenca,
I've just seen your introduction thread. Some nice stories there. I see you were in Manchester after. I was there 1976 to 1979, at the University of Manchester. According to the gig listing, which doesn't claim to be comprehensive, the only subsequent time that Rory played the Stadium was this:

04/12/74 Jackie Lynton Band / Rory Gallagher £1.25
(although exactly the same details do appear in the December 1975 gigs - a mistake or an unedited copied line?)

His other gigs there were:

14/06/72 Rory Gallagher / Roxy Music / Nazareth
01/03/73 Greenslade / Rory Gallagher 1.00

These all tie in with the gig listing here, except that the last one is listed here as 03/03/73.

I don't remember much about Rory being on stage - too overawed! - except that he, the whole band, was brilliant and played all the songs I really wanted to hear live. I was overjoyed when they finally did Laundromat - my favourite - as the second encore!

From the prices shown for these and other gigs at the Stadium, I guess it cost me £1 to get in - what a bargain! However I do remember working 5 days a week for £5 in 1972!
Back to the 70s

Postby Flamenca » 26 Mar 2012, 13:21

Hi Back to the 70's

The dates on the Stadium web site aren't all correct.
The Rory gig in March '73 was definitely the 3rd March - the day after Rory's 25th birthday - the date of the 'flaming' cake incident ... Too bad my post on 3rd March was deleted by the sabotage troll ... I was talking about this with an old friend, who recalls the lucky girl from Belfast's name as Caitlin Mcready ... don't know if anyone knew her!!!
Flamenca

Postby Back to the 70s » 26 Mar 2012, 13:26

Intriguing... I missed your 3 March post.
Back to the 70s

Postby innuendo » 27 Mar 2012, 17:54

i remember your 3rd march post flamenca, it was a great story and it's too bad it's lost now
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Next

Return to This Day in Rory Gallagher History