This Day in Rory History, 12 September

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

Re: On this date in Rory history 9/12

Postby Sinner Girl » 12 Sep 2011, 11:29

9/12/1981 Athen G Nea Philadelphia Stadium John "Irish" Earle / sax.

''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby BIBI » 12 Sep 2011, 11:37

TODAY IS A SPECIAL DAY IN GREECE!!!!
TODAY EXACTLY 30 YEARS AGO RORY PLAYED THE NEA PHILADELPIA STADIUM IN ATHENS!!!

‎12th September 1981 - Athens/Greece - NEA Philadelpia Stadium

http://garagefuzz21.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... agher.html

http://rorygallagher.wordpress.com/

http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=629

http://www.roryon.com/greek165.html

Best regards from Brussels, Bibi.
BIBI

Postby BIBI » 12 Sep 2011, 11:38

Sinner Girl wrote:9/12/1981 Athen G Nea Philadelphia Stadium John "Irish" Earle / sax.

Well Simone, you were a little bit quicker than me.... :)
BIBI

Postby Sinner Girl » 12 Sep 2011, 12:47

Not at all BIBI , I simply love this show ;) ;) ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby asdesas » 12 Sep 2011, 15:10

Truly an historic date, the Athens gig is legendary. I am very pleased to have a boatload of Facebook friends from Greece, every one of them a Rory fan it seems, and it seems that Rory is held in special reverence in Greece, a true hero to many. I pasted the notes from these Youtube vids into Google Translate, and the translation below in part explains why. Really fascinating---

Rory Gallagher (1948-1995) was one of the greatest musicians in the blues-rock. Grand master of the electric guitar with many loyal fans in our country. It was not coincidence that 40,000 rockers found on September 12, 1981 in the court of New Philadelphia to hear the Irish rocker and watch closely the "Stratokaster" to catch fire. He was one of the first rock concerts in our country, accompanied by severe episodes.

It was a warm autumn evening, when Rory Gallagher, Jerry Mack Avou (bass) and Brendan O 'Neal (drums) went shortly after nine in the scene. The Irishman with his first touch took the audience with him and take off. Many fans did not hesitate to climb on stage in concert hours to touch the idol and to express their love. The security men had a lot of work.

Outside the stadium of AEK had started the first episodes. Cast, deadhead and several men of the Police, who started varane to kill and firing tear gas. Very soon the streets of Philadelphia became a battleground. The smell of tear gas made the suffocating atmosphere in the concert area.

The next day, newspapers circulated in headlines like "New Philadelphia, was burned by the rockers." The concert was later released on a pirate version with the title «Live in Athens 1981».

"... news concert Rory Gallagher released from mouth to mouth in all schools, courtyards, private tutoring, cafes, electronics, squares, illegal radio stations in FM ... and the name became legend. Was written on walls, school bags, school, dormitories, EVERYWHERE. The Rory was the only artist who's music unites and was respected by all people regardless of race 'belonging'. Freaks, heavy metal, punk, Mohicans, new wave, oriole, chairs .. The next day hanging from the headlines in all the stands, or Greece learned "burnt or New Philadelphia by ROKADES." Clashes with riot police, burning police cars, throwing tear gas and overnight chase the surrounding narrow and the electric railway station in Perissa.

The truth is that the conservative state apparatus, once again had shown no "mask" the attitude and fear toward the movement of rock, which took an epidemic of 'edge' on the edge throughout the youth of the world ... "

This material looks like it came from a larger written piece; would love to read the whole thing.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby innuendo » 15 Sep 2011, 23:42

that was very interesting read richard. i don't know why rory is so popular in greece. actually i'm more curious why wasn't he so big in the rest of the world but we discussed that here on several occasions
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby photofinish » 16 Sep 2011, 10:06

innuendo wrote:that was very interesting read richard. i don't know why rory is so popular in greece. actually i'm more curious why wasn't he so big in the rest of the world but we discussed that here on several occasions

My Dentist is from Greece,he is only 32,but is mad Rory fan,he has friends over there that attended those gigs in 1981,they have gone down in Greek folklore,and not just because of what happened,because of Rory himself and his music,i cant really put it in words what he has told me.
I gave him a recording of the gig which he loved,but have been told one of his pals has some fantastic photos from the gigs.
Apparantley he has told his friends that i met Rory on many occasions and if we ever go to Athens i will be lauded hero status..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
photofinish

Postby innuendo » 16 Sep 2011, 13:33

maybe he could share his friend's photos with us
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby asdesas » 16 Sep 2011, 16:27

My Greek Facebook friends regularly go out for "Rory nights"; it seems our man gets plenty of play at bars etc, and there's even a Rory bar where needless to say the music is excellent. Sounds like Heaven! I think he is viewed as a political/musical/social hero there.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Jay Jay » 16 Sep 2011, 19:25

asdesas wrote:My Greek Facebook friends regularly go out for "Rory nights"; it seems our man gets plenty of play at bars etc, and there's even a Rory bar where needless to say the music is excellent. Sounds like Heaven! I think he is viewed as a political/musical/social hero there.

Regards,
Richard

Richard my Rory friend. Please just miss the political out and then I believe you got it spot on :)
Because Rory unlike Bono (U2) very rarely spoke out about his political views and just got on with playing his music..
It's funny in life you would have thought Rory in Northern Ireland would have been thought of like he is in Greece. As he was one of the few artist that played there throughout the troubled times in their history. Although thought of well in Northern Ireland, in Greece he has such a big cult hero status and his following it seems to me because of one famous gig of 40,000 music fans. Playing there similarly as to in Ireland they really appreciated him there, because not many rock bands had played there for years..

It's great that Greeks still remember Rory so fondly after all these years :)

Regards Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ This Day in Rory History