This Day in Rory History 14 June

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

On this date in Rory history 6/14..

Postby roryfan » 14 Jun 2011, 10:49

6/14/1969 High Wycombe GB Town Hall
6/14/1972 Liverpool GB Stadium
6/14/1974 Nottingham GB University
6/14/1985 Brooklyn USA 62nd Street Bayshore
6/14/1995 London GB King`s College Hospital Day of death
roryfan

Re: On this date in Rory history 6/14..

Postby roryfan » 14 Jun 2012, 10:53

No New dates to report
On this date in Rory history June 14
Were you there? Have any stories? Any new information?
6/14/1969 High Wycombe GB Town Hall
6/14/1974 Nottingham GB University
6/14/1985 Brooklyn USA 62nd Street Bayshore
6/14/1995 London GB King`s College Hospital
Day of death
Always in our hearts and minds

john g http://www.roryon.com

http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.html
roryfan

Postby Flamenca » 14 Jun 2012, 23:59

I was there with my boyfriend Brian Mercer and our friends Malcolm Pike, his girlfriend Ann, Tommy (it's Galla hhher ... not Galla Ggur) Pilling, Tommy Hunt and 'Tank' (Andrew Nicholson I think).

I have a story to tell but will have more time at the weekend ...
Sometimes I wish I had a time machine to go back then ... 40 years ago today.
Flamenca

Postby Sinner Girl » 15 Jun 2012, 01:24

Flamenca wrote:6/14/1972 Liverpool GB Stadium

I was there with my boyfriend Brian Mercer and our friends Malcolm Pike, his girlfriend Ann, Tommy (it's Galla hhher ... not Galla Ggur) Pilling, Tommy Hunt and 'Tank' (Andrew Nicholson I think).

I have a story to tell but will have more time at the weekend ...
Sometimes I wish I had a time machine to go back then ... 40 years ago today.

Hardly wait for the story ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Flamenca » 18 Jun 2012, 15:48

Still no time to post ... but here's something for now ...
http://www.liverpoolstadium-rockyears.com/id35.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flamenca

Postby Flamenca » 19 Jun 2012, 00:51

As previously mentioned, I was at this show.

Until I read the contents on the Stadium web site, I thought I was fairly unique in being only 13 years old when I started going to gigs, but clearly I wasn’t as a number of people my age have posted their recollections of the Stadium at that time. It was a sports stadium for boxing, so anyone over about 13 years old could get in just as long as they didn’t drink in the bar – you had to be over 18 for that.

Just to recap, my first gig … and first date with Brian (we dated for three years!), was to see Rory at the Royal Court Theatre supporting Osibisa on Monday 6th December 1971 – and what a show it was :D

This show on 14th June 1972 was terrific too although it did have both unpleasant and humorous aspects.
Our friend Tommy (it’s Galla hher … not Gallagger!) Pilling was Mr. Ticket-man. He got the tickets for all of us for everything, and we paid him back. In my case, my boyfriend Brian paid him for both of us because I didn’t have any money! Tommy Pilling also lent me his Taste LPs and the early Rory ones too. He was a HUGE Rory fan. He used to hang out at a cool record shop in Liverpool (can’t remember the name of the place) and he was always into everything happening. He looked like Rod De-Ath ... very cool 8-)

On this occasion, Brian, Malcolm, Ann, Tommy Pilling and me went with Tommy Williams and his wife (I think her name was Samantha but we always called her Cherry-tooting-lips because she always wore cherry red lipstick and pursed her lips when she spoke to sound posh not Scouse!!!) in their dark mustard coloured Mini Clubman estate (the cool car at the time). We squeezed in the back, Tommy Williams drove and Cherry-tooting-lips sat in the front because she was about six months pregnant. The tyres must have been flat all the way there with us all in the back. God knows how we all squeezed in. Tommy Hunt and Tank (Andrew Nicholson) met us there. The tyres on Tommy Hunt’s motorbike really did go flat when Tank rode pillion. We were waiting for the tyre valves to blow out! … but they never did :mrgreen:

I have to say it was a very badly promoted and managed show. Music fans in Liverpool were tribal back then. To put Rory on the same bill as Nazareth was a mistake, but to throw Roxy Music in was just plain stupid. You might just as well have mixed up the fans at a Liverpool v Everton match. I believe the promoter was paid by their record companies to put these bands on as support. Normally the promoter paid the support bands until ‘pay-to-play’ i.e. buying on to the tour of a major act became commonplace thanks to Vince Power … in the 1980s.

The seats were allocated to the ticket number – unusual because normally anyone could sit anywhere. Additionally, as the boxing ring was in the middle, they usually closed off one half of the seating area behind the stage and had the bands facing forwards towards the audience. In this case, the demand for tickets was so great because Rory had just been voted Melody Maker International Guitarist of the year, that they had sold all of the seats. One half of the crowd only saw the back of the bands. Not great. They became restless and discontented. Additionally, the art school posing snobs/pseuds/aggressive spoilt brats who’d come to see Roxy Music were mostly at the front with Rory fans further back. We were about half way back facing the bands.

Nazareth came on first at about 8pm. They were a glam rock outfit that did not go down well initially. I’d say about 80% of the crowd were Rory fans who were not impressed and jeered solidly for about 20 minutes. Eventually, Dan McCafferty (the singer in Nazareth) stopped the band and said to the crowd ‘What do we have to do to stop you from booing? What do you want to hear?’ A few people said, the music’s fine, just button up your shirt (it was a flouncy one undone to the waist, tucked into his Bacofoil style, silver Spandex pants), and stop mincing around. He was astonished and said ‘Is that it? But I always dress and dance like this. He was laughing. Someone shouted out ‘Carry on and we’ll carry on booing!’ He got the message, did up his shirt and stopped mincing around the stage. From that point on, the crowd stopped booing. About 25 minutes later they finished their set and got an encore :)

It got to about 9 o’clock and then Roxy Music came on. This was when the trouble started. Bryan Ferry came on wearing what looked like a 1920’s style smoking jacket, smoking a cigarette from one of those black plastic cigarette holders you see in old movies. What a pretentious tosser! He sat down at his keyboard like Liberace and started singing vibrato like a constipated goat. The booing was deafening. It didn’t stop. The art school posing snobs/pseuds/aggressive spoilt brats were furious and started fights with the hairies sitting behind them. Roxy Music managed to finish one song in about three minutes. They started another. People started throwing cans. They stopped after about 30 seconds and Bryan Ferry said something like ‘OK so you don’t like that. Let’s try something else.’ They got halfway through the next song when bottles started smashing on the stage. At that point I think Bryan Ferry shouted ‘Oh f*ck off’ and Roxy Music left the stage. They were on stage for less than 10 minutes. The fighting started in earnest then. We got out as quickly as we could.

Outside we were all chatting good-humouredly amongst ourselves because we knew Rory wasn’t due on stage for at least another hour and hopefully the pseuds would have all gone by then. The promoter had hired extra security – rent-a-thug from the night club circuit. Tommy Williams had been a part-time steward at the Stadium so he got to see his favourite bands without having to pay, and better still, they paid him! Usually, there was little if any trouble there. He had recently given up this evening job as his wife Cherry-tooting-lips was pregnant.

A renegade rent-a-thug bouncer ran over to Malcolm and punched him in the stomach for no reason. We were aghast. Tommy Williams and Brian dragged him off and tried to pin him down. A couple of other bouncers ran over. We were screaming ‘he attacked us. He’s mad. Don’t hit him (Tommy). His wife’s pregnant!’ Some stewards who knew Tommy ran over and said ‘we know him. He’s a steward here’ We explained what had happened. The other bouncers dragged the bouncer-rent-a-thug away, then they ran over to the art school posing snobs/pseuds/aggressive spoilt brats and started beating them up as they were leaving the Stadium. It was horrible :(

At this point, Tommy Williams and his wife Cherry-tooting-lips decided to go home. Brian said he’d had enough and wanted to go home too. If he had gone, I would have had to go too. Somehow we managed to persuade Brian to stay.

I don’t remember too much about the show except it was fantastic. It started at about 11pm and went on until about 3am. I do remember early-on Rory realised half the crowd couldn’t see him because they were behind him. He then explained to everyone that he and Gerry would face the other way for a few songs just so that the other side of the room could see them. They then alternated playing in each direction for about twenty minutes each way, and leaned forwards towards the other side of the audience. During this time when they were leaning forward facing the other half of the audience, we got a bird's eye view of Rory and Gerry’s bottoms in the air, wiggling in time to the music. It was hilarious :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sadly it ended at about 3am. For some reason Tommy Pilling was carrying Ann’s umbrella. I think she left it by her seat. We lost Malcolm and Ann when exiting. They said they were going for a taxi and ran off. Tommy Hunt took Tank home to Rainhill on his motorbike and said he would meet us later at his house in Parr to take me home on his bike as it would have been difficult to get a taxi then.

Brian, Tommy Pilling and I went to Lime Street to catch a mail train back to St. Helens as our ride (Tommy Williams and his wife Cherry-tooting lips) had already gone several hours earlier. Rory had been on top form that night and forty years later, I’m proud to say I was there :D :D :D
Last edited by Flamenca on 13 Apr 2014, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
Flamenca

Postby innuendo » 19 Jun 2012, 10:55

great story and what a great memory flamenca!
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Flamenca » 22 Jun 2012, 14:03

Hi Innuendo

The story sticks in my memory because we talked about it for years to come!
Also it was very much a 'Gala' type gig. They put out bunting and had merchandising vendors, hot dog stalls etc. there.
It was a big deal at the time because Rory had just won the International Guitarist of the Year award from Melody Maker.
Not just your usual 'going to a local gig' type event. It was more like a Wembley event.

I really have to thank my ex-boyfriend Brian because without him I wouldn't have seen and done half as much.
His generosity and kindness will stay in my memory for life.
Sometimes I wonder if things would have been different if I had experienced a more conventional childhood, but my life experiences have made me who I am today, so I don't regret any of them. It just makes it difficult to talk about music with people my own age, because they usually say things like "Oh, that was before my time". When I talk to older people, they usually find it very hard to believe I went to those gigs.

I was very pleasantly surprised to read comments on the stadium web site from other people my own age, with similar memories to mine ... I am not alone ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The one memory that I just can't recall in detail is when we saw Queen. According to the stadium time line it was Saturday 17th Nov 1973 with Rory on the following Saturday night. I know we were there, because we were ALWAYS there on a Saturday night and I remember seeing Queen but I just don't remember the gig that much. I think it was because they were all dressed in black with silver studs in their clothes. Not a lot of colour makes it hard to remember things. I remember Brian buying the first album and me being a huge fan of Queen ages before anyone else at school.

The stadium years ... I'm just glad I was a part of it ;) ;) ;)
Flamenca

Postby Sinner Girl » 22 Jun 2012, 15:02

Thank you Flemenca, great story as always
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby innuendo » 22 Jun 2012, 15:15

wow, you saw queen! are you still a fan today?
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Next

Return to This Day in Rory Gallagher History