This Day in Rory History 09 April

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

Re: on this date in Rory history 4/9...

Postby rory » 10 Apr 2011, 09:55

Glasgow and Marquee gigs were great, fond memories.

Rory :D :) ;) 8-)
rory

Postby roryfan » 09 Apr 2012, 10:43

One new date
Were you there? Have any stories? Any new information?
4/9/70 Taste/Black Sabbath/Dogg - Mayfair Ballroom 1970 NEW DATE thanks to Wim Wezenberg for passing it along
4/9/1972 London GB The Marquee Live recording and filming (strictly invitation only)
4/9/1978 Glasgow GB Apollo Theatre
4/9/1980 Dublin IRL National Stadium Rec. Stage Struck
john g http://www.roryon.com
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.html
roryfan

Postby BIBI » 09 Apr 2012, 11:24

TODAY EXACTLY 42 YEARS AGO...!!!

‎9th April 1970 - Mayfair Ballroom - Newcastle/UK

TODAY EXACTLY 40 YEARS AGO...!!!

‎9th April 1972 - Marquee Club - London/UK

TODAY EXACTLY 34 YEARS AGO...!!!

‎9th April 1978 - Apollo Theatre - Glasgow/Scotland

A concert review of Apollo Theatre at Glasgow/Scotland in Record Mirror by John Wishart...
http://www.roryon.com/roadshows308.html

Best regards from Brussels,
Bibi
BIBI

Postby innuendo » 09 Apr 2012, 19:44

taste and black sabbath on the same bill? amazing! those who were there were witnessing history in the making, sabbath became the founders of heavy metal and we all knew what 70's had in store for rory. both bands were at that time at the verge of becoming big, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be for taste
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

On this date in Rory history: April 9

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Apr 2014, 17:37

4/8/1973 McKeesport,PA USA Zodiac Club
http://www.rorygallagherairport.com/
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.htm
Jay Jay

Re: On this date in Rory history: April 9

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Jul 2014, 01:46

Jay Jay wrote:On this date in Rory history: April 9
Found on YouTube, recorded 9 April 1993? Blues Rock Festival, Tegelen, The Netherlands, 04-09-1993

4/8/1973 McKeesport,PA USA Zodiac Club
http://www.petitiononline.com/RoryCork/petition.htm
RobertaSparrow

This Day in Rory History 09 April

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Apr 2016, 20:46

4/9/1970 Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK Mayfair Ballroom Sabbath, Dogg
4/9/1972 London GB The Marquee Live recording and filming (strictly
invitation only)
4/9/1978 Glasgow GB Apollo Theatre
4/9/1980 Dublin IRL National Stadium Rec. Stage Struck

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rory ... alloffame/
RobertaSparrow

Re: This Day in Rory History 09 April

Postby ailish78 » 11 Apr 2016, 07:48

4/9/1978 Apollo Glasgow. This may have been the gig I was at in 1978, but to be honest I really can't remember. He played the Apollo at least twice in 1978, Once in April and one in November I think. I'm sure it was Spring time because I remember the weather being quite nice and for Scotland that is surprising. I remember listening to his albums in my bedroom and feeling very sad. The the sun was shining through the window. In any case, this must be the one when he arrived very late. I've already told this story, but I'll repeat it here. He didn't start until around 9.45 because he had been delayed at the airport (either Belfast or Cork). It was very disappointing for me because I had to leave early to get the late bus home and apparently he played a 3 hour gig. When he rushed on stage he immediately apologised to everyone and said he would make it up to us and I remember thinking that that was extremely considerate. Well he certainly did, but I was reluctantly dragged away to get the late night bus home. I just remember it going on and on and there was a really good atmosphere. In retrospect I wish I had taken a camera to take some pictures but I just didn't think about it at the time. I was terribly upset at having left the gig early. I was sure I was already 17, but if it was April then I was still 16. My birthday is in July. Oh well it's possible. I probably said I was 17 even although I wasn't quite 17 yet. You might think that is irrelevant, but that really confused me as to which of the gigs I actually attended. I've been letting it go around my head for a long time.

The actual gig started off a bit rough. He had trouble with his tuning. There were a few technical problems. It took him a long time to get warmed up. I do remember that. Then he played his accoustic set then after that it was really really good. The place was jumping. I wanted to rush to the stage as soon as he played Moonchild, but the 'older' friend I was with wouldn't let me. He said he was afraid I would get crushed or that he wouldn't be able to find me. I was so angry. I just didn't want to leave. I'm sorry I can only ever remember the personal emotional side of that gig and not an awful lot about the gig itself.

However, maybe some of you can help me here. I was sure he played Follow Me, but that wasn't released on an album until 79. Is that correct?. I only rremember that it was one in which Gerry sang with him in the chorus. I wouldn't know that it was called Follow Me at that time, but I've listened to a lot of his music and this seems to be the only one that Gerry contributes to live. Is it possible he could have just been trying the song out before a live audience before it got released? I remember thinking I had never heard it before. This remains a mystery to me. Thanks for clearing it up. :)
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Apr 2016, 17:34

ailish78 wrote:4/9/1978 Apollo Glasgow. This may have been the gig I was at in 1978, but to be honest I really can't remember. He played the Apollo at least twice in 1978, Once in April and one in November I think. I'm sure it was Spring time because I remember the weather being quite nice and for Scotland that is surprising. I remember listening to his albums in my bedroom and feeling very sad. The the sun was shining through the window. In any case, this must be the one when he arrived very late. I've already told this story, but I'll repeat it here. He didn't start until around 9.45 because he had been delayed at the airport (either Belfast or Cork). It was very disappointing for me because I had to leave early to get the late bus home and apparently he played a 3 hour gig. When he rushed on stage he immediately apologised to everyone and said he would make it up to us and I remember thinking that that was extremely considerate. Well he certainly did, but I was reluctantly dragged away to get the late night bus home. I just remember it going on and on and there was a really good atmosphere. In retrospect I wish I had taken a camera to take some pictures but I just didn't think about it at the time. I was terribly upset at having left the gig early. I was sure I was already 17, but if it was April then I was still 16. My birthday is in July. Oh well it's possible. I probably said I was 17 even although I wasn't quite 17 yet. You might think that is irrelevant, but that really confused me as to which of the gigs I actually attended. I've been letting it go around my head for a long time.

The actual gig started off a bit rough. He had trouble with his tuning. There were a few technical problems. It took him a long time to get warmed up. I do remember that. Then he played his accoustic set then after that it was really really good. The place was jumping. I wanted to rush to the stage as soon as he played Moonchild, but the 'older' friend I was with wouldn't let me. He said he was afraid I would get crushed or that he wouldn't be able to find me. I was so angry. I just didn't want to leave. I'm sorry I can only ever remember the personal emotional side of that gig and not an awful lot about the gig itself.

However, maybe some of you can help me here. I was sure he played Follow Me, but that wasn't released on an album until 79. Is that correct?. I only rremember that it was one in which Gerry sang with him in the chorus. I wouldn't know that it was called Follow Me at that time, but I've listened to a lot of his music and this seems to be the only one that Gerry contributes to live. Is it possible he could have just been trying the song out before a live audience before it got released? I remember thinking I had never heard it before. This remains a mystery to me. Thanks for clearing it up. :)

I looked around a bit, and tried to find some reference to an instance of Rory performing Follow Me prior to 1979 and I was unable to find one, but that doesn't mean he didn't try it out in 1978- Rory wasn't known to use playlists, and he may well have decided to try it out on some live audiences before its official release. Also, it was unusual, but not unheard of for Rory to have Gerry do backup vocals on songs. He often asked him to join on Follow Me, but Gerry also did backup vocals on Nadine, and at least one other song, but the title eludes me. So, is it possible that you went to a show there in 1979, or perhaps saw Gerry harmonizing with Rory on a different song? I know what you mean about not remembering the events exactly. I cannot remember all the specifics of the different venues and shows I saw Rory play, but I know they aren't all on the timeline. It seems at the time that they are never going to be forgotten, but bit by bit, the details begin to blur. Sadly, memories fade over the decades.

Anyone else on the forum who can shed light on this question?
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 13 Apr 2016, 18:24

Thank you for your reply Cynthia. No, I'm absolutely certain it was 78, because I saw Thin Lizzy at the Apollo in 79 and Rory was the first live concert I had ever seen really. Also Gerry metions in his book about that gig and that Rory was terribly late and that they wanted to go on stage to warm up to calm the crowd a bit, but he says it was a day when an old firm derby was playing and that the crowd were going mad. I don't think that is true, because there was no football derby on that day. I didn't see any supporters around, but maybe i just don't remember it. I really don't remember any fights at the venue either. People were certainly restless and booing and getting angry that's for sure, but I didn't see any fights break out. I also checked up on the old Apollo website and some people mention being there in 74 to see Rory and that he was very late because his flight from Cork was delayed. How strange. I was too young then to have been to the gig, but for that to have happened at least twice at the same venue seems a bit strange. I guess it will all remain a mystery.
ailish78

Next

Return to This Day in Rory Gallagher History