On this date in Rory history: March 3

I wanna cause no trouble, no fuss, no fight. But look out man you know this is Saturday night

Re: On this date in Rory history 3/3...

Postby jocarelo » 08 Mar 2011, 01:24

3/3/1979 Lisboa, Pavilhao Dramático de Cascais, Portugal
jocarelo

Postby Jay Jay » 03 Mar 2013, 14:51

Hope everyone had a great day of listening to,watching and remembering
Rory yesterday :)

Were you there? Have any stories? Any new information?
3/3/1970 London GB The Marquee
3/3/1973 Liverpool GB Stadium
"03,03.1979" Lissabon-Cascais Pavilhao Dramatico de Cascais
john g http://www.roryon.com
http://www.rorygallagherairport.com/
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rory ... alloffame/
Jay Jay

Re: On this date in Rory history: March 3

Postby Flamenca » 03 Mar 2013, 15:49

I'll be back with the 'flaming cake' story when I get a minute later ... :lol: :lol:
Flamenca

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Mar 2013, 18:23

I am looking forward to it Flamenca! Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Flamenca » 10 Mar 2013, 13:49

At long last … the ‘flaming cake’ story … sorry for keeping you waiting but I’ve been busy …

As to be expected for a Saturday night at the Liverpool Stadium, the mood was jocular. High spirits abounded and everyone I could see was in the party mood, out for a good time. The venue had a capacity of 3,000 and it was rammed full. As it was a Saturday, plenty of people (many students) had taken the ferry over from Belfast and Dublin for the gig. The boxing ring was in the middle of the Stadium and this acted as the stage. They usually cordoned off the half ‘behind’ the stage, as the view was limited from that direction as the bands faced forwards … but not always … sometimes they sold some of the seats immediately behind (not at the side) at the last minute, if demand was high. People with those seats usually didn’t bother sitting down and preferred to stand near the bar, facing the stage. Health and Safety in those days wasn’t what it is now …

I don’t remember who played support that night. My memories commence at the interval after the support band left the stage and before Rory came on. I remember us all chattering with anticipation as to whether Rory would be playing with the ‘new’ drummer – Rod, and wondering if there would be a keyboard player too because we hadn’t seen him play with one before.

As usual, we were sitting at the back to avoid the legendary Stadium smell! We were slightly right of central, facing the stage. Facing the stage, we could see there were two risers – one central right, at the back, presumably for the drummer, and another one on the left facing the stage. This one was quite high, hence our queries as to whether there would be a keyboardist.

The lights dimmed … Lou ran on stage followed by Rod. They climbed their risers and took their seats. Then Gerry and lastly Rory ran on-stage. Gerry was to our left between Lou and Rod, Rory was slightly to our right. Rory and Gerry looked at each other and then launched into the first song. Unfortunately, there was no set list, so they were both playing different songs! They burst into giggles and apologised and Rory said let’s start again. They launched into the next song and realised again that they were both playing different songs! This time, they got a fit of the giggles, and Rory apologised by saying that they had been touring a lot and were very tired. Gerry then said that wasn’t the real reason. He told us that it had been Rory’s birthday the day before, and they had been celebrating after the show in Glasgow the previous night. He told us that he had only got to bed at 5am and that Rory hadn’t bothered to go to bed at all as they had to be up at 7am to check out of the hotel and drive down to Liverpool, and that they’d continued the celebrations when they’d arrived.

At this point the audience started singing ‘Happy Birthday’ to Rory, and the band excluding Rory played along. Next thing, I saw in the front row, a young girl in her late teens, early twenties, carrying what looked like a cake with burning candles on it. She was walking towards an aisle and then, with a bit of a leg up from Tom, managed to climb onto the stage. She had dark, longish hair and was wearing a black maxi coat. She walked across the stage from centre to right, with the burning ‘cake’ and presented it to Rory. He was amused and touched and asked her if it were real. She replied that it wasn’t and that it was made out of a copy of the Liverpool Echo (newspaper) scrunched up, with lit matches as candles. He asked her for her name. She replied ‘Caitlin Mc???????-y’ (could have been McCready, McAreavey, McSweeney who knows?). He didn’t quite hear her, and repeated ‘Katie’. She said ‘no’ and repeated ‘Caitlin’ quite emphatically and said she didn’t like being called ‘Katie’. He repeated ‘Caitlin’ and asked her where she was from. She replied ‘Belfast’. He then asked her why she was in Liverpool. She replied she’d come over on the ferry just for the show. Rory was really touched by that. Meanwhile the band was playing and the crowd singing ‘Happy Birthday’ in a loop.

Whilst Rory was admiring the ‘cake’ another girl was at the front with another ‘cake’. She was a bonny lass with longish strawberry blonde hair and again wearing a black, maxi coat – de rigueur for the times! Tom tried to give her a leg up onto the stage, but he heaved and puffed, and what with the flaming cake and big coat, he couldn’t quite lift her. Another member of the road crew or stage hand ran up and helped him to lift her onto the stage. As she walked across the stage to Rory, her whole ‘cake’ caught fire, so she dropped it and had to stamp it out. Rory said ‘Ah, come here for a kiss’ but she was too shy and ran off! Rory then blew out the candle (matches) on the other ‘cake’ Caitlin had given him and put it down on the stage. He then asked her if she’d like a kiss.
Caitlin threw her arms around his neck and they started snogging for Ireland, in front of at least 1,500 people – plus those standing! Meanwhile the band was still playing ‘Happy Birthday’ with a fairly drunken crowd singing along.

Well, this was when the real fun began! It started with a few wolf whistles from the audience. This then developed into loud farmyard animal noises. I vaguely recall producing a rather large oink and being proud of it! Meanwhile as Rory and Caitlin continued to snog, the band played on, in a loop, ‘Happy Birthday’ with the audience becoming increasingly exhilarated. Then we started shouting ‘Fire’ - the ‘cake’ that Rory had blown out was actually on fire. Gerry shouted over to Rory that the cake was on fire. He tried to extricate himself from Caitlin, but she was hanging on for dear life. He then stamped on the ‘cake’ to put it out but started jumping up and down like he was dancing a jig! … with Caitlin still hanging on close with her arms looped around his neck. The crowd and Gerry were in fits of laughter! Gerry asked him what he was doing. He replied that the burning embers from the newspaper had flown up the flared leg of his jeans, and had stuck to the hairs and were burning his leg!

Suddenly a much older man ran onto the stage from the right, with a CO2 fire extinguisher. He must have been the venue manager. He was spraying the stage in spurts everywhere around Rory and Caitlin’s feet, and started berating Rory fiercely. He said no-one had told him there was going to be pyrotechnics, and that they had no licence for any. Everyone was still laughing and this incensed the man further. He then started to berate the audience and said he could stop the show then and there, and send everyone home if he wanted to. Suddenly Donal came on stage from the right.

Meanwhile Tom had run on the stage and was trying to take Caitlin off. He and another member of the stage crew had to lift her feet off the ground and raise her feet until she was horizontal to unloop her from Rory’s neck. Then Tom gave her a fireman’s lift off stage whilst she was trying to struggle free and get back to Rory. It was like a pantomime! It was absolutely hilarious!

Donal started apologising to the man profusely and explained what had happened and that it hadn’t been planned and begged him not to stop the show. I don’t think I’d ever heard anyone grovel like that before in my life … unless they were in line for a kicking! Rory then told the band to play – I don’t remember which song, but as they started to play, I couldn’t hear what the man and Donal were saying, but I do remember Donal leading him off stage and the show proceeding without any further interruptions.

All in all, without a doubt, the most hilarious gig I have ever been to!
Thanks Rory for the laugh, and a belated Happy Birthday!
Flamenca

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Mar 2013, 23:36

Well, that story was certainly worth the wait-

[color=#800080]Whilst Rory was admiring the ‘cake’ another girl was at the front with another ‘cake’. She was a bonny lass with longish strawberry blonde hair and again wearing a black, maxi coat – de rigueur for the times! Tom tried to give her a leg up onto the stage, but he heaved and puffed, and what with the flaming cake and big coat, he couldn’t quite lift her. Another member of the road crew or stage hand ran up and helped him to lift her onto the stage. As she walked across the stage to Rory, her whole ‘cake’ caught fire, so she dropped it and had to stamp it out. Rory said ‘Ah, come here for a kiss’ but she was too shy and ran off! Rory then blew out the candle (matches) on the other ‘cake’ Caitlin had given him and put it down on the stage. He then asked her if she’d like a kiss.
Caitlin threw her arms around his neck and they started snogging for Ireland, in front of at least 1,500 people – plus those standing! Meanwhile the band was still playing ‘Happy Birthday’ with a fairly drunken crowd singing along.
[/color] :lol:

I bet the shy girl was kicking herself over that for years! Sounds like Rory and everyone around him had a good 25th birthday :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby loulamb » 11 Mar 2013, 21:40

Brilliant post! I often wondered what Rory's sense of humour was like? some have said it could be very dry, then you see him having fun with Gerry on stage with the air punches- :D
loulamb

Postby SUBY1974 » 12 Mar 2013, 22:51

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is excellent. I always love to hear the stories of Rory and the band on tour. Firstly the shy girl must regret big time she never got to kiss Rory. If it was me I would give him a small kiss on his cheek. The other girl Caitlin, one word OMG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: She would not let Rory go and Tom had to prise her off Rory !!!:lol: :lol: She would probably hang on to Rory forever! I hope RG did not get too burnt by the candles. Goodness health and safety in those days?? By the way me and Susie would have love to have seen this but atlas we did not exist in 1973! Floating somewhere in space i guess. It s lovely also to see Rory's relax and humerous side. Thanks so much for sharing Flamenca. I have been very tired and exhausted the last week but this made my day. Brilliant. Subrata. x :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUBY1974

Postby JimLED » 13 Mar 2013, 10:48

I have a question.

Flamenca, you've say that couldn't recognize the band who were play before Rory but you clearly remembering every detail of the girl's dress, colour of her hair etc.
How is that can be that you're forgot the name of the band that played before?
Maybe you were that girl? :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Flamenca » 13 Mar 2013, 12:11

Hi Jim

No, I definitely was NOT that girl! I think my boyfriend would have left me if I had been that girl :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bear in mind I was only 14 years old at the time and in love with my own boyfriend, not Rory!
Rory would not have snogged a 14 year old that's for sure!
I think some of my posts may have been a little smutty - sorry if I've offended anyone, but you have to remember my friends and I were very young back then. I first saw Rory supporting Osibisa when I had only just turned 13 years old.
The things we got up to back then were typical teenage pranks for that era, in that social setting - the rough side of Liverpool!

I suppose I remember so much about this girl because in those days I was very interested in people generally, probably as a defence mechanism, particularly girls older than me who I used to copy to try to fit in! Fitting in means less threats as you become less noticeable :roll: Perhaps I should have got Will Freeman (Hugh Grant in Nick Hornby's 'About A Boy') to buy me a pair of expensive trainers and a CD Walkman :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still have a bad habit of 'identifying and cataloguing' people :lol: I even do it on the train to work to pass the time :mrgreen: I've just read a thriller by Stella Rimington (former Head of MI5). In it, she describes the observational techniques used by spies to suss people out ... Some of us (usually ladies :lol: ) do it as a matter of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still laugh at the idea of Rory being a spy! No-one that good looking would ever have gone unnoticed ;)
Flamenca

Next

Return to This Day in Rory Gallagher History