New Article - Frank Kocher (San Diego Troubadour)

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

New Article - Frank Kocher (San Diego Troubadour)

Postby Madrid74 » 01 Jun 2014, 23:43

A nice article, thanks to Rory Gallagher official facebook page

http://sandiegotroubadour.com/2014/06/remembering-rory-gallagher-the-peoples-guitarist/
Madrid74

Re: New Article - Frank Kocher (San Diego Troubadour)

Postby Frank49 » 27 Jun 2014, 03:25

Nice to see some Rory G fans thought enough of my piece to post it here. I do want to acknowledge an error that made it past me and my editor: Rory's first five albums in three years, '71-'73 weren't all studio discs, since the '72 album was live.
Frank49

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Jun 2014, 10:04

Frank49 wrote:Nice to see some Rory G fans thought enough of my piece to post it here. I do want to acknowledge an error that made it past me and my editor: Rory's first five albums in three years, '71-'73 weren't all studio discs, since the '72 album was live.

I enjoyed the article. Welcome to Rory's website. :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Jun 2014, 12:10

Frank49 wrote:Nice to see some Rory G fans thought enough of my piece to post it here. I do want to acknowledge an error that made it past me and my editor: Rory's first five albums in three years, '71-'73 weren't all studio discs, since the '72 album was live.

Hi Frank, a very warm welcome to Rory's family, friends and fans forum.

We do all as "Rory fans" appreciate your excellent article :)
Even Donal Gallagher admitting in a TV interview once, he was not only Rory's brother but a fan of Rory's too :)

The response from comments underneath your article are great to hear..
They really sum up for anyone who saw Rory Live what an amazing & incredible musical act and individual he truly was :)

Kirk Koster
Posted June, 2014 at 4:00 PM | Permalink
Nice article on a beautiful man and musician. I had a chance to meet him during the Against The Grain tour and blew it. I learned my lesson and I’ll never pass up an opportunity like that again. I believe Rory enjoyed his fans even though he never pursued stardom. He’s always on my iPod and will always be in my heart.

John Nihen
Posted June, 2014 at 2:27 AM | Permalink
Nicely done tribute to one of the greats. I first learned of Rory in the early 1980s when my brother came back from being stationed in England and told me about this unbelievable guitar player. We were fortunate to catch some of the shows at The Old Waldorf club in San Francisco, some of which appeared on Notes From San Francisco. From the very first I had trouble adjusting what I was hearing to what I was seeing. It sounded like there were three guitars on that stage instead of just one. Like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory had the ability to wring out rhythm and melody, color and texture all at the same time. As you mentioned, Rory could transition between a hard-rock blues song and into acoustic slide work. I was able to catch him again at the Old Waldorf a few years later and then again at San Jose State, a show where the room literally shook! * The unassuming bit about the flannel shirts was refreshing in a time when less-talented musicians were employing all sorts of distractions like spandex, smoke bombs and lasers in their shows. What really got me though, was just the sheer LOVE that people had and still have for Rory. He put so much effort into his shows. I patted him on the shoulder as he came off stage once and he was DRENCHED! And he always came back with another encore. I had been wondering if he was going to tour again in the 1990s when I saw his photo in a music magazine with an announcement of his passing. He died on my birthday, which sucked, but it’s another way to remember him too. *The show at San Jose State was on the second floor of the Student Union building and there were signs posted on the doors going in that read “No Dancing!” I think the reason for this was because the floor had been designed to MOVE during an earthquake and they were worried about it failing or something. It was one of the wildest concerts I had ever been to. Maybe 500 people? Not sure, but it was a mix of seating and an open area up front. I don’t remember if they had advertised “No Cameras” on the tickets or if I just didn’t bring it, but I was kicking myself for not doing so. I was able to walk right up and stand at the front of the stage the whole night and the lighting was much better than what I encountered at the Old Waldorf. If I had a Time Machine, this is one of the moments in my life I would come back to re-live.

Rock On for RORY :)
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines