The Rise and Fall of the Legendary Rory Gallagher

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

The Rise and Fall of the Legendary Rory Gallagher

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Jan 2012, 16:51

Thanks to Milo for this old magazine article about Rory from Guitar World..

http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=708#stanleysteamer
Jay Jay

Re: The Rise and Fall of the Legendary Rory Gallagher

Postby asdesas » 22 Jan 2012, 17:50

This is a fascinating article with some great photos, and i remember when it came out being thrilled to see it in GW, which attracts a primarily younger, hard rock/metal oriented readership. But I found the article aggravating in that--it seemed to me--the writer was one of those who felt that Rory's not having hit records, making a household name of himself, etc, were some kind of failings. It's pretty revealing, though; the material from Donal about Rory's last years is really heartbreaking.

Thanks for posting this--I think i lost my copy when I moved.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby mike6262 » 22 Jan 2012, 21:02

I just re-read the Guitar World article myself. And I have a huge problem with anyone judging a musicians career as a failure or success. I think Rory knew longevity and respect in the music business came from making great albums not great singles. Though many artists have been able to do both. But many more are out of the business because they couldn't follow up with another hit single. And many more are saddled with a hit single, take Golden Earring for instance, a band that has about 30 album releases in their career, I own quite a few myself. And no matter where and when they perform they are known as the band that plays Radar Love. I think for at least 50% of the people who go see them live are there to hear Radar Love or Twilight Zone. And I would say that 90% of the music they sell is Radar Love or Twilight Zone or the albums that contain those cuts. They actually have many many cuts that I think or better, but I am not huge fan, just using these guys as an example.
I think this is precisely what Rory was trying to avoid by not releasing singles. I think he saw the new FM radio format as a place to get played without releasing singles. Being born and raised in America myself, Rory not having great success in America says more about the American music landscape than it does about Rory.
Rory sold millions of albums worldwide, played to millions of people, that sounds like a successful musician to me!
Mike
mike6262

Postby asdesas » 22 Jan 2012, 21:11

Mike: EXACTLY! It kills me when people measure "success" in terms of mainstream fame or hits on the radio, teen magazine covers, blah blah blah. As interesting as this article is, and as great as it was to see Rory finally get some lengthy coverage in GW, IMO the writer missed the entire point of what made Rory Rory, meaning as far as his fans are concerned, what made him great. He even talks about Rory's extended solos somehow marking him as out of touch. Out of touch with what? With what he didn't want to be in the first place? Sheesh.

BUT--still great to see Rory's name in front of a growing audience. I was really thrilled to see his name on the cover, and to see the length of the article, with those great pictures.
asdesas

Postby mike6262 » 22 Jan 2012, 22:41

I agree Richard, if a couple young players get turned on to Rory, good enough for me. The part about the "extended" guitar solos. The solos that go on for "37 choruses". Those statements make me wonder if the author, Alan Di Perna, has listened to much of Rory at all. No one can accuse Rory of excessive soloing on any studio albums. He was always tasteful in his solo's be it live or studio. Those statements made me wonder if the guy was qualified to write the piece, but I am glad it was written.
Here is a strange piece of info, I am reading Keith Richards biography "Life". And he never mentions Rory in the part about Mick Taylor leaving and bringing in players to audition. He talks about some others but not Rory. The biography is very much pulling the curtains back to reveal all the ugliness in his life and the Stones, so I don't think he is hiding anything.
mike6262

Postby asdesas » 23 Jan 2012, 03:21

Haha Mike when I first got my hands on "Life" I went tearing through looking for Rory, but no... I have to wonder, given what we do know about Rory's meeting with the Stones, if Keith was even there. To hear Rory tell it, Keith was passed out in his room practically the whole time. It is interesting and rewarding to hear Bill Wyman comment on Rory in the Ghost Blues documentary. I wish someone could get a hold of him and pick his brain for more info.
asdesas

Postby mike6262 » 23 Jan 2012, 12:39

Richard, Keith's book was co-authored by James Fox. It could be that James Fox sorted through all the info for this book as presented by Keith and decided for whatever reason to leave this part out. On the other hand they do mention the much lesser known players that were part of this audition. I am sure there is an intresting story behind this. And of course, like you said, Keith may not remember enough about the Gallagher sessions to warrant a mention. By Keith's own account he was either awake for days at a time under the influence of smack or comatose on smack.
mike6262

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 26 Jan 2012, 04:49

I, too, was looking for a mention of Rory in the book. As for the GW article, I liked that it presented a version warts and all of Rory - but I agree that the story was bent on some A&R idea of success. Also, I disagree that Rory was out of place as a frontman - he wasn't a caricature of a person like a Steven Tyler but I think he was too multi-talented to be a sideman (the guy learned to play the saxophone on a whim - come on!)

-ian
bottleneckblues77

Postby mike6262 » 26 Jan 2012, 07:07

Hey Bottleneck
I agree the "out of place as a front man" comment was way out of line. And it is another reason I think the author was not a fan or even very familiar with Rory.
mike6262

Postby asdesas » 26 Jan 2012, 07:31

mike6262 wrote:Hey Bottleneck
I agree the "out of place as a front man" comment was way out of line. And it is another reason I think the author was not a fan or even very familiar with Rory.

Yeah, that is a ridiculous statement. Listen to what Bill Wyman says about him, Rory was everything; even "front man" short changes him. I mean, is Clapton a front man? Or SRV? No, they're Clapton and SRV. Mike I agree, it really seems like the writer wasn't very familiar with Rory, and maybe went into the assignment with the mindset of, "Okay, let me find out why this guy wasn't 'famous.'" Which bugs me as I've read and enjoyed many articles by him over the years and he really missed the mark on this one. I think this particular writer hit the scene in the 80s. You may remember there was a new breed of guitarists coming up then and Rory got slagged now and then as "old fashioned", meaning he didn't wear spandex and subdivide every musical phrase into as many notes as humanly possible as if it was the Guitar Olympics.

But that's one of the interesting things about Rory--then and now people either "get" him or they don't.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines