The Rise and Fall of the Legendary Rory Gallagher

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

Re: The Rise and Fall of the Legendary Rory Gallagher

Postby mike6262 » 26 Jan 2012, 18:56

Here is some info on Alan Di Perna, the author of the Rory piece in Guitar World. This is from his Facebook page:
Music historian/analyst/journalist/author/editor/ media and pr consultant.
It is easier to see where the article is coming from. I think he was wearing his PR hat in this article. Hope this does not come across as negative toward the author, I actually respect his opinions, but I completely disagree with them. And still question if he is the right guy to write such a lengthy piece on Rory. I would love to see Andy Aledort do a piece on Rory. If your not familiar with his work he is in most every issue of Guitar World and a helluva guitarist, he plays in Dickey Betts band, and is the resident classic rock and blues rock guru at the magazine. Great instructor too, I don't read many instructional articles but his are usually great stuff you could actually use.
mike6262

Postby asdesas » 26 Jan 2012, 23:11

Yes Andy Aledort is a great player! There are some clips of him playing Hendrix on Youtube that are outstanding.

Still glad the article was done at all, but it's such a wasted opportunity that it wasn't written by someone who "gets" Rory--or at least could be more objective and less judgmental.
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Leedelta » 27 Jan 2012, 12:29

Quick sideways plug for Andy..Check out his instructional lessons here:

http://truefire.com/educators/andy-aledort.html

I have most of them and they are great, also check out Robbie Calvo on the Truefire site.

Article was ok...bit maudlin. Didn't know of the Canned Heat offer was it to replace Henry Vestine?
Leedelta

Postby Yoyodyne » 04 Feb 2012, 19:21

I thought the article was basically rubbish. The author had his marketable "hook" (the rise and fall angle) and wrote the entire piece to fit that perspective. The author is just trying to sell something (himself as a credible music critic) and he fails miserably in that regard.
Yoyodyne

Postby silentreborn » 06 Feb 2012, 19:11

Yoyodyne wrote:I thought the article was basically rubbish. The author had his marketable "hook" (the rise and fall angle) and wrote the entire piece to fit that perspective. The author is just trying to sell something (himself as a credible music critic) and he fails miserably in that regard.

Also hate the part (which the author mentions nearly everyhwere) that he displays Rory as being a total neurotic idiot/lunatic who missed opportunities and ways to get into the "real" musicbusiness or even a grip onto "real" life.
Rory was more realy than any other musician, not some blown-up egocentric person who didn't give a darn about something as important as his fans or who revelled around in their money.
Those are the ones who lose touch to the real world.

But the tragedy of Rory Gallagher is something different, a tale of a life filled with missed opportunities, unfortunate career decisions and misplaced idealism, all exacerbated by the familiar demons of alcohol and drug dependency

Yes, his life turned out to be tragic in the later years (booze etc..), but where does this guy see the missed opportunities and unfortunate decisions, as well as misplaced idealism?
Just because he was utterly devoted to the only few thing he ever really loved? Does missing an opportunity mean that you choose, hundreds of fans waiting for you on the other side of the planet over a Rockband that didn't seem to get a proper working atmosphere and spirit going on?
Since when is staying true to yourself and your ideals such a crime?
silentreborn

Postby asdesas » 07 Feb 2012, 06:20

silentreborn wrote:
Yoyodyne wrote:misplaced idealism

This in itself sums up how out of touch Andy was with his subject as a person and as an artist. And how sad in itself... I mean, what's misplaced about idealism?

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Postby Tokeiihto » 07 Feb 2012, 13:35

asdesas wrote:This in itself sums up how out of touch Andy was with his subject as a person and as an artist. And how sad in itself... I mean, what's misplaced about idealism?

This piece of writing provides a revealing look into the mind of a cynic. In fact, most of these kind of articles probably tell you more about the author than the actual subject.
"From the fool's gold mouthpiece the hollow horn plays wasted words, proves to warn that he not busy being born is busy dying." (B. Dylan)
Tokeiihto

Postby asdesas » 07 Feb 2012, 16:48

[/quote]probably tell you more about the author than the actual subject.[/quote]

Exactly!
asdesas

Postby Rosemarie » 10 Feb 2012, 11:27

This was my response in January 2011 to this article which was originally discussed on 'Rory's Health, Donal's Commitment to Rory'.

"Like many other fans, I have read this article before and perhaps it is a sign of good journalism that prompts me to pen a response to it, I don't know. As a long standing admirer of Rory's music (38 years) I hope I am suitably qualified to pass comment. I was not there, I did not live the life, but if I were a new devotee to Rory reading this article for the first time, I would perceive him not as a thoroughly capable and dedicated musician but a man who prevented his own career from attaining further escalation due to self-absorption and refusal to relinquish total control to others. Surely that was the very essence of Rory that he took charge of his own destiny and was ardent in self-belief.

The item reads 'his short and sad life'. Why did the journalist feel that his life was sad? Surely Rory was intent on pursuing a career of choice and providing pleasure in his music, not only for himself, but others, which is the pinnacle that we, as human beings, can only hope to achieve in our own lives.

Rory was a gentleman, always generous and gracious with his time in dealings with the media,therefore I cannot comprehend why there have been articles which are occasionally intent on seeking chinks in the armour of both the man and the musician. Yes he was flawed (aren't we all)?

I make no apologies for this passionate outburst, but suffice to say Rory has willed a legacy of wonderful music for us to enjoy, and if nothing else, I would like to say 'thank you very much'."

Rory's music continues to 'rise' and has never 'fallen'!
Rosemarie

Postby shadowplay57 » 10 Feb 2012, 16:02

I agree this artical does say more about the author than the subject...he's a fuCENSORDEDat
shadowplay57

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines