Nice Rory article in PopMatters

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

Nice Rory article in PopMatters

Postby roryfan » 11 Sep 2011, 01:18

A real nice review and Rory history piece from PopMatters
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/146 ... blueprint/

Rory Gallagher: Rory Gallagher / Deuce / Live! in Europe / Blueprint
By Rob Browning 9 September 2011
john g
roryfan

Re: Nice Rory article in PopMatters

Postby asdesas » 11 Sep 2011, 06:58

This is great, thanks for posting!

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Postby Sinner Girl » 11 Sep 2011, 19:54

This great article , thank you ;) ;)
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby asdesas » 15 Sep 2011, 03:31

Y'know, this article contains something that has bugged me over the years. I've seen it many times--a writer comparing Rory's voice and vocal style to Clapton's. Is it just me, or are their voices--and their use of them--in fact not alike at all??? Rory's use of his voice is just like his use of guitar--a primal, passionate expression, truly a soul finding voice. Clapton's... this is not to diss him at all, because I love his voice, but it's somehow tame to my ears, measured and elegant like his guitar playing. Again, this is not a diss--Eric's voice IMO perfectly complements his guitar playing, as Rory's voice did his own. But are they similar? Not by a long shot, to me anyway.

Maybe it's a vestige of the "old days" when Rory was not so covered by the US press; it was almost like they had to drag Clapton's name into it to somehow give Rory "credibility." I don't think he needs to be compared to anyone--and he probably wouldn't have liked it anyway, unless you were comparing him to Bill Broonzy or Blind Boy Fuller.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 15 Sep 2011, 04:28

I totally agree. I think if there is a likeness at all it's because they both grew up listening to Lonnie Donegan and any of the other Skiffle singers rather than Rory sounding like Clapton they both inherited some vocal inflection styles from the British and Irish bands that brought American music into their musical sphere. I picked up a great 10 CD set of Skiffle in Salzburg, Austria of all places this past summer and could hear a bit of Rory's vocal style in some of those earlier artists (not to mention his American music influences).
bottleneckblues77

Postby innuendo » 15 Sep 2011, 23:39

the more i'm reading about the blues-the more i dislike clapton-he's so overrated
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 16 Sep 2011, 00:48

innuendo wrote:the more i'm reading about the blues-the more i dislike clapton-he's so overrated

I was the same way for a number of years - but I do appreciate how he hasn't forsaken his influences and kept some of the older blues artists in the limelight. That I respect - but after reading his biography I did think he was quite a tool until I finally came around this past couple of years.
bottleneckblues77

Postby Sinner Girl » 21 Sep 2011, 15:13

innuendo wrote:the more i'm reading about the blues-the more i dislike clapton-he's so overrated

I never iike clapton , I appreciate his work, but never like his performance he so cold when he perform , and like he doing his work without passion .

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby asdesas » 21 Sep 2011, 15:38

bottleneckblues77 wrote:

I was the same way for a number of years - but I do appreciate how he hasn't forsaken his influences and kept some of the older blues artists in the limelight. That I respect - but after reading his biography I did think he was quite a tool until I finally came around this past couple of years.

I'd never deny his talents, and I'm sure he is very passionate, but the way he shows his passion just doesn't reach me. It did, up to and including Live Cream Vol 2 (his best, most fiery guitar work IMO), but he's left me flat for years. Too "lite beer commercial"-sounding for me. I know the talent is there, and respect it, and am glad he keeps making nods to his influences, but he's just too "smooth" for my Tastes.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Postby Sinner Girl » 21 Sep 2011, 15:53

asdesas wrote:
bottleneckblues77 wrote:

I'd never deny his talents, and I'm sure he is very passionate, but the way he shows his passion just doesn't reach me. It did, up to and including Live Cream Vol 2 (his best, most fiery guitar work IMO), but he's left me flat for years. Too "lite beer commercial"-sounding for me. I know the talent is there, and respect it, and am glad he keeps making nods to his influences, but he's just too "smooth" for my Tastes.

Regards,
Richard

Yeee maybe i wrong express my words about clapton but you wright Richard his passion doesn't reach me when he played. i love him with Cream.

Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines