Nice Rory article in PopMatters

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

Re: Nice Rory article in PopMatters

Postby bottleneckblues77 » 21 Sep 2011, 16:28

I liked his Derek and the Dominoes and first solo records as well (Eric that is). His 80's generic"ness" and 90's sheen that he mostly still retains definitely has lowered him (as a blues-based player) in my estimation. Somewhere along the way it turned into a job for him and he became a brand. Rory maintained his raw quality throughout his career (one caveat - the Defender LP has more sheen than I was used to but nowhere near what Clapton did to his own music) and had more of a vision than Clapton. I think after Cream (and arguably Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominoes) Clapton seemed to just float and bounce off what was going on or who was producing rather than really pursuing an artistic vision. But - everyone knows his name and he sells magazines. It'll be interesting to see if he maintains this high profile thirty years from now.
bottleneckblues77

Re: Nice Rory article in PopMatters

Postby asdesas » 21 Sep 2011, 19:12

bottleneckblues77 wrote:It'll be interesting to see if he maintains this high profile thirty years from now.

My theory is that in 30 years Rory will tower over many other "legends" because he really stood for something.

Oh and thanks for mentioning Blind Faith--it's one of my favorite records, though I don't consider it a Clapton record for some reason--it seems to live in its own space.

Regards,
Richard
asdesas

Location: Los Angeles by way of Fullerton CA (where Rory's Strat was born!)

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines