Classic Rock magazine letters

People they are writing until the ink turns green Trying to ruin my reputation send it to a magazine

Classic Rock magazine letters

Postby Johnbox73 » 02 Apr 2011, 08:14

Made me smile last night whilst reading the several letters written/emailed in
by Rory fans concerning the reviews of 'some' of Rory's albums throughout his career.
Most were finding it unbelieveable that Photofinish, Top Priority, and Stagestruck were
not even given a mention! In his defense the writer replied that Rory never made a
bad album, so it was hard to choose!!

To true!

Got me thinking... there can't be many artists that you can say that about.
Even some of my other favourite artists have made their fare share of duds!
AC/DC, The Stones, etc. The only other one who comes to mind would be
the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan, who, like Rory made an astonishingly good
final album! (Fresh Evidence was also ignored by Classic Rock magazine!)

Thoughts????

John W

* At the heavier end of the spectrum, TOOL have yet to make a bad recored (IMO)
Johnbox73

Re: Classic Rock magazine letters

Postby innuendo » 02 Apr 2011, 19:04

Johnbox73 wrote:Made me smile last night whilst reading the several letters written/emailed in
by Rory fans concerning the reviews of 'some' of Rory's albums throughout his career.
Most were finding it unbelieveable that Photofinish, Top Priority, and Stagestruck were
not even given a mention! In his defense the writer replied that Rory never made a
bad album, so it was hard to choose!!

To true!

Got me thinking... there can't be many artists that you can say that about.
Even some of my other favourite artists have made their fare share of duds!
AC/DC, The Stones, etc. The only other one who comes to mind would be
the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan, who, like Rory made an astonishingly good
final album! (Fresh Evidence was also ignored by Classic Rock magazine!)

Thoughts????

John W

* At the heavier end of the spectrum, TOOL have yet to make a bad record (IMO)

i said on another topic how i can't believe they didn't even mention photo finish, top priority (my fave rory album), and fresh evidence. i wasn't even thinking about live albums like stagestruck and also new but fantastic the beat club sessions
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby rory » 10 Apr 2011, 10:22

Good review

Rory :D :) ;) 8-)
rory

Postby slipkid » 16 May 2011, 03:26

I just recently read that C.R. issue where they devote 2 pages to an artist as a buying guide and list some albums as "essential", "worth checking out", and "to avoid" (or whatever their categories are) and I was beyond shocked at how they covered Rory. I usually agree with what they have to say in that column but whoever wrote that one I fear hasn't even heard all of Rory's albums. I'm glad to hear that other fans wrote into C.R. to give their views, because I was too lazy to bother.

If I had not heard of Rory and was intrigued by that article then went out and bought what that guy recommended, I would be scratching my head wondering what the fuss was about and not even became a big fan like I am today.

Everybody is going to have their preferences of favorite albums or type of music, but he left out most of what I consider to be Rory's strongest albums (the more rock ones starting with Against the Grain in '75 up through Jinxed in '82) in favor of ones that don't even do much for me (the earlier more bluesy ones). I love Jinxed but how can you mention that over Photo-Finish or Top Priority??? At least he did mention Calling Card, as far as what I can remember anyways (I don't have the mag anymore).
slipkid

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Articles and Magazines