Copy of the Melody Maker Naming Rory Top Guitarist

Rory Fans ~ All new members checkout updated forum rules.. here before posting please
Forum rules
styles/rules.png

LOOSE TALK ~ Moderator Team..
John Ganjamie (roryfan) JJ Joyce (Jay Jay) Cynthia Armento (RobertaSparrow) Jim Petrover (JimLED).
© RORY GALLAGHER LOOSE TALK 2013

Copy of the Melody Maker Naming Rory Top Guitarist

Postby Sid_Sidow » 05 Apr 2015, 23:07

For my own curiosity, I was hoping to find on line or get a photocopy of the Melody Maker when Rory was voted best guitarist,

I saw a post with a single page showing poll results, but I was looking for the whole article.
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Re: Copy of the Melody Maker Naming Rory Top Guitarist

Postby fenderbass » 23 Jul 2015, 00:25

I'm not sure if there was a full article. Try roryon.com, there may be more info there.

I remember seeing the results page or pages at the exhibition in Cork library in 2005.

I got the Melody Maker every week back in the late 60's and most of the 70's and cut out anything Rory related.

Here are some of the cuttings from around the time of the September 72 pop poll results.

(there are some reflections of my camera from picture frame glass in these photos).

fenderbass

Postby ailish78 » 10 May 2016, 20:10

Wow I just noticed Maggie Bell was voted No.1 female singer and in the same year as Rory was voted best guitarist! Well deserved. Maggie is great and she's still going strong. I wonder if she ever met Rory?
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 May 2016, 22:03

ailish78 wrote:Wow I just noticed Maggie Bell was voted No.1 female singer and in the same year as Rory was voted best guitarist! Well deserved. Maggie is great and she's still going strong. I wonder if she ever met Rory?

Most likely they did meet.
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 11 May 2016, 10:22

You're probably right there Cynthia. I just checked. He shared the bill with Stone the Crows (Maggie's band) at the Great Western Festival on Saturday 27th May 1972. Here's the link http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Great-Westernlineup.html
ailish78

Postby vasdis » 11 May 2016, 10:59

Lead guitarist was Les Harvey,electrocuted on stage,brother of "The Sensational" Alex Harvey.
vasdis

Postby ailish78 » 11 May 2016, 17:01

Yeah that's right. Les and Maggie were a couple. I just learned on the other forum that Taste toured with Stone the Crows. Does anyone know anything about that? I thought that festival was just a one-off thing. Gosh this thread has gone off onto another subject.
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 May 2016, 17:43

vasdis wrote:Lead guitarist was Les Harvey,electrocuted on stage,brother of "The Sensational" Alex Harvey.

And one of Rory's drummers, Ted McKenna was the drummer for Alex Harvey's band. These musicians knew each other to varying degrees. It's like playing the game, six degrees of separation, but you can make the connections within one or two "degrees." :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby fenderbass » 13 May 2016, 00:19

Taste toured with Stone The Crows and Jake Holmes, Autumn 1970.

Donal says in the Dan Muise book that it was on the eve of this tour being announced that Rory said he was leaving the band. The three acts were on the Polydor label who were promoting the tour and had invested a huge amount of money in it.

fenderbass

Postby ken » 12 Jun 2017, 09:00

Hi Sid,
I was a 'stringer' for Melody maker circa 1970-1974, like you I read the MM every week, I do not recollect a specific article about Rory winning the poll. I briefly worked as a very junior reporter in the law courts, prior going to art college , and had quite a few articles based on what I supplied, including the Beatles break up in the High court and quite a few articles on Bootlegs. I also worked for sounds. MM were in Fleet street, on the first floor next to Coutts bank. Do you still have your MM copies, ? Be very happy to pay you for my front cover, it was the NOT the main headline but about Bootlegs not being sold by virgin records. circa 71.

On a completly different topic I am after the last tour poster that taste did which I saw at the Lyceum.
It is the' clench fist' in colour, I am working on a possible taste project, but want to do a painting based on the image.!

I just need a scan or a screen grab, I posted this on the RG facebook yesterday.
I saw most of the Rory shows at the Lyceum including the October 4 show you have included.
Thanks
ken

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER FANS ~ Introduction & Welcome to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK"