Books of Rory Gallagher

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: Books of Rory Gallagher

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Jul 2011, 11:33

TO MAKE IT CLEAR to RORY FANS and for those who didn't know this ..
Donal Gallagher and the Gallagher families view of the Riding Shotgun Gerry McAvoy book :( ..

I have nothing but contempt for Peter Chrisp’s ‘Riding Roughshod’ that he wrote for Gerry McAvoy, it is a terrible insult to Rory’s memory and is such that I have placed the matter with lawyers who are dealing with it. There is so much wrong with ‘Riding Roughshod’ that (when legal issues are resolved) separately I shall show how badly fabricated, composed and inaccurate the comic is. When the author has to resort to ‘cut and paste’ from magazines it proves their ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject. Coming from a guy who trades a living as a ‘Band of Friends’ so called, when they played in Cork no one would bother to make contact with Rory’s mother and in the book McAvoy falsely tries to endear himself as a family friend. To fabricate things about my father is unforgivable and state that Rory wouldn’t attend our father’s funeral is a falsehood, we both did, we didn’t fight over it has suggested and we were certainly not in America, in fact, I recently found Rory’s diaries from that time with his travel details, etc. To suggest that Rory wouldn’t sign for Warners because the guy (Russ Shaw) was gay is a absolute lie, in truth Chrysalis ‘poached’ Russ from Warners (their distributor at that time)so as to impress Rory to sign for them. For McAvoy to be putting on the ‘poor mouth’ is absurd, funny that his selective ‘financial’ memory works to suit the books needs, ‘Used To Be’.

Donal Gallagher : 2006
Jay Jay

Postby innuendo » 28 Jul 2011, 12:17

that's why i said that i'll be waiting for official rory biography from donal and daniel
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby Bearded Baby » 03 Aug 2011, 10:37

Hmm, I have Riding Shotgun, the book by Jean Nöel Something and the Dillinger, Marriot, Gallagher & Trower book, and have read them, and I think RS is not too bad, even if Donal did not approve, as it at least tells most of the story (but in all fairnes it's a biography about Gerry, not Rory). The book by the frenchman is really bad, more about the author than about Rory, the Dillinger etc. is OK I think. But of course we still misst THE biagraphy about Rory. But, to be honest I'm not sure that Donals approval is a guarantee for the correctnes of such a biography? I'm a little bit biased here as I read a lot of biographies, not only rock/blueas ones, and the "approved" ones can something miss out some of the more controversial stuff (not saying that such stuff necesarily exist when it comes to Rory). But you might be right, I think Donal is the best source for the truth of Rory, so his cooperation (and thus approval) would be essential in this case. For me many of the rock/blues biographies are often boring reading, either because the author is not a good enough writer or also sometimes too close to the artist as a fan, painting the picture too bright. Peter Guralnics books on Elvis are exceptions and are great, so for me it would be important to have a decent writer doing the Rory bio, a man/woman with deep understanding of Rory and his music, but also a good and sharp pen and a critical view...

Asle
Bearded Baby

Postby BIBI » 03 Aug 2011, 14:08

Bearded Baby wrote:Hmm, I have Riding Shotgun, the book by Jean Nöel Something and the Dillinger, Marriot, Gallagher & Trower book, and have read them, and I think RS is not too bad, even if Donal did not approve, as it at least tells most of the story (but in all fairnes it's a biography about Gerry, not Rory). The book by the frenchman is really bad, more about the author than about Rory, the Dillinger etc. is OK I think. But of course we still misst THE biagraphy about Rory. But, to be honest I'm not sure that Donals approval is a guarantee for the correctnes of such a biography? I'm a little bit biased here as I read a lot of biographies, not only rock/blueas ones, and the "approved" ones can something miss out some of the more controversial stuff (not saying that such stuff necesarily exist when it comes to Rory). But you might be right, I think Donal is the best source for the truth of Rory, so his cooperation (and thus approval) would be essential in this case. For me many of the rock/blues biographies are often boring reading, either because the author is not a good enough writer or also sometimes too close to the artist as a fan, painting the picture too bright. Peter Guralnics books on Elvis are exceptions and are great, so for me it would be important to have a decent writer doing the Rory bio, a man/woman with deep understanding of Rory and his music, but also a good and sharp pen and a critical view...

Asle

8-)
BIBI

Postby Sinner Girl » 08 Aug 2011, 00:43

innuendo wrote:that's why i said that i'll be waiting for official rory biography from donal and daniel

Me to agree with innuendo I wait the book official rory biography from donal and daniel
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby Garbage Man » 12 Nov 2011, 19:11

Doug wrote:I've read all three prominent books mentioned in this thread. Here is my take:

The biography by Jean-Noel Coghe in my opinion was written by a fan trying to pump up his own ego by recounting his experience of supposedly being somewhat close to Rory. Basically a joke.

The real joke is your comment. Having had the chance to meet JN Coghe, I can say that it is the opposite of what you described. A man of rare humility. I'm not surprised that he and Rory were friends.
Your words are defamatory !
Garbage Man

Postby Shadowkicker » 16 Nov 2011, 00:40

You know what I'd like to see is a book about Rory's legacy and all the tributes and people involved in keeping his memory alive while everyone's here like with the first tributes , Sinnerboy, and Jay Jay and Bibi and everyone and their stories , a collection of the legacy since, I mean wouldn't it be great to have something that's still writing itself that we're all involved in?
What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Shadowkicker

Postby Moonchild_87 » 31 Dec 2011, 00:15

[quote="Jay Jay"]TO MAKE IT CLEAR to RORY FANS and for those who didn't know this ..
Donal Gallagher and the Gallagher families view of the Riding Shotgun Gerry McAvoy book :( ..

I have nothing but contempt for Peter Chrisp’s ‘Riding Roughshod’ that he wrote for Gerry McAvoy, it is a terrible insult to Rory’s memory and is such that I have placed the matter with lawyers who are dealing with it. There is so much wrong with ‘Riding Roughshod’ that (when legal issues are resolved) separately I shall show how badly fabricated, composed and inaccurate the comic is. When the author has to resort to ‘cut and paste’ from magazines it proves their ignorance and lack of knowledge on the subject. Coming from a guy who trades a living as a ‘Band of Friends’ so called, when they played in Cork no one would bother to make contact with Rory’s mother and in the book McAvoy falsely tries to endear himself as a family friend. To fabricate things about my father is unforgivable and state that Rory wouldn’t attend our father’s funeral is a falsehood, we both did, we didn’t fight over it has suggested and we were certainly not in America, in fact, I recently found Rory’s diaries from that time with his travel details, etc. To suggest that Rory wouldn’t sign for Warners because the guy (Russ Shaw) was gay is a absolute lie, in truth Chrysalis ‘poached’ Russ from Warners (their distributor at that time)so as to impress Rory to sign for them. For McAvoy to be putting on the ‘poor mouth’ is absurd, funny that his selective ‘financial’ memory works to suit the books needs, ‘Used To Be’.

Donal Gallagher : 2006[/quote]

Wow, I'm late, but I'm glad I've read this... well, "glad" in a certain way.
Moonchild_87

Postby Moonchild_87 » 02 Jan 2012, 13:55

[quote="Jay Jay"]TO MAKE IT CLEAR to RORY FANS and for those who didn't know this ..

Donal Gallagher : 2006[/quote]

Now I'm shocked :shock: I bought the book some months ago, I enjoyed reading it because I didn't know anything about Rory and it seemed very interesting, and now reading these strong lines from Donal, I feel disappointed. How can I know now what it's true and what it's not true on the book.
Moonchild_87

Postby folkdeejay » 03 Jan 2012, 13:39

Does anyone know the current view the Gallagher family have ?

The quote from Donal is 5 years ago. Oddly, as they seem to get on - it seems the IT74 DVD commentary by both Gerry & Donal was done after the book ( I may be wrong here, but it looks that way)

As a side issue - a guy I know who likes Rory a lot, and has some industry knowledge, is firmly of the opinion that the Gallagher family are now "milking" (his words, not mine) the Rory legacy in a way they could/should have done when he was alive - but didn't - but not now he has passed. He means the remixing and re-releasing of already avaiable material, not "new" stuff like the San Fransisco LP.

He also has quite strong views about the fact Donal was Rory's manager during his entire solo career, and cites several incidents that he thinks show a lack of professionalism/guidance that is what a manager should do... specifically the failure to play the Last Waltz gig and the lack of singles as a way to promote tours/albums.

We have talked about this quite a lot - I agree some decisions were simply wrong - but my feeling is that Rory was probably very stubborn, despite his humble/quiet persona, and he simply refused to do some stuff that Donal/others suggested. My mate counters this by pointing out that Donal was, therefore, too close personally to "manage" Rory appropriately, and should have realised this and stood aside. We don't agree on this - I suspect Rory was, and always would be, his own man.

Several obvious examples of strong guidance by managers - Springsteen, The Who, Led Zep, U2 - it is fair to say none of them come accross as shy, retiring types - but they all have long-term, strong guidance from equally forceful managers.

Perhaps Rory did need the overview of someone less personally involved (as a brother naturally is) - particularly in his "down" times. we wil never now if this would have helped.

Its obviously academic now - and by posting this I am in NO WAY implying Donal was anything but loyal. I personally think he acts with what he felt/feels Rory's best interests are, then and now. That said, it is an interesting topic for Rory fans to talk about - like the Beatles & Epstein, or the Parker / Elvis relationship.

Anyone here have similar thoughts to my mates, or mine??
folkdeejay

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Biographies. Articles and Magazines