Books of Rory Gallagher

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: Books of Rory Gallagher

Postby Sinner Girl » 10 Jun 2011, 13:01

I really enjoy in book Rory Gallagher: A Biography by Jean-Noel Coghe, nicely described Rory, but very little in this book about Rory's private life, that I missing in this book, but there are actually a lot of nice photos and articles, and Rory's handwriting.
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby GRace » 10 Jun 2011, 21:34

Currently I have in my Rory-collection only one book - it's Rory Gallagher: A Biography by Jean-Noel Coghe (paperback). This is a very nice book including interesting moments from Rory's amazing life. For example, this is one and only source (as far as I know) in which was published Rory's picture (I don't say about sketches) - portrait in oils of Buddy Holly (painted by Rory, aged 12 :!: years). I don't stop to admire the talent of Rory!

And many more interesting information in this book!
Thanks a million to Jean-Noel for unique content!

But there are several shortcomings: little paper size - have to examine photos under a magnifying glass :) ; binding is trumpery - many pages flew out.
~Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music.
MUSIC IS THE BEST!!!~
GRace

Postby Simone67 » 11 Jun 2011, 00:50

Yes,Grace,that happened to me when I read it the second time,just fell to pieces !!! :(

I `m always amazed by Rory`s (multi) talent as well ! That picture of Buddy he did as a kid is just great ! Rory once said,when asked what career he would have chosen if he hadn`t gone into the music trade..:" a painter,or a spy..I wonder what he would have favoured to paint or draw ?-Probably more musicians ?!
Simone67

Postby innuendo » 11 Jun 2011, 05:53

i don't have any rory books, i think i'll wait for official biography written (or approved) by donal
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby mac » 12 Jun 2011, 13:51

You should read Gerry's book and make up your own mind Kruno, it really does give a good insight to life on the road.

I thought the Jean-Noel Coghe book was written by a fan who did'nt really know Rory and gave no insight into the man.
mac

Postby bullfrogger » 13 Jun 2011, 07:53

grace wrote:Currently I have in my Rory-collection only one book - it's Rory Gallagher: A Biography by Jean-Noel Coghe (paperback). This is a very nice book including interesting moments from Rory's amazing life. For example, this is one and only source (as far as I know) in which was published Rory's picture (I don't say about sketches) - portrait in oils of Buddy Holly (painted by Rory, aged 12 :!: years). I don't stop to admire the talent of Rory!

And many more interesting information in this book!
Thanks a million to Jean-Noel for unique content!

But there are several shortcomings: little paper size - have to examine photos under a magnifying glass :) ; binding is trumpery - many pages flew out.

I have a French version of this book, It came with a CD attached to the back cover (It's still in the book) called "Off The Boards" - this was the main reason for my purchase, I also bought the English Hard Back version - No CD with this one but the content seems to be the same. both are by Jean-Noel Coghe.

Steve...
bullfrogger

Postby Garbage Man » 13 Jun 2011, 13:48

I only have the book by Jean-Noël Coghe !

He's too short but the anecdotes are awesome. I had the chance to meet Mr. Coghe in last february. A very nice guy of great kindness.
He autographed my copy of his book and wrote a special anecdote.
Garbage Man

Postby RoryfanBrisbane » 18 Jun 2011, 12:16

I read the Jean-Noël Coghe book borrowed from my local library here in Brisbane - I thought it was pretty bland and a piece of fan adoration that gave no real insights in to the band and their experiences over the decades. Gerry McAvoys book on the other hand is brilliant. If the Gerry and Donal commentary on the re-issue DVD of Irish Tour 74 is anything to go by then they get on like a house on fire - their friendly banter is a great addition to the new DVD.
RoryfanBrisbane

Postby Jay Jay » 18 Jun 2011, 12:31

RoryfanBrisbane wrote:If the Gerry and Donal commentary on the re-issue DVD of Irish Tour 74 is anything to go by then they get on like a house on fire - their friendly banter is a great addition to the new DVD.

Hi RoryfanB ..Obviously you have not read my third post on this topic. Also not been in touch with things over the last 3 or 4 years concerning Donal & Gerry's friendship .. Donal and Gallagher family not at all approving of the RS book.
Jay Jay

Postby RoryfanBrisbane » 20 Jun 2011, 12:11

Obviously you haven't a clue what you are talking about. The Gerry McAvoys book I have was released in 2005. The reissue of Irish Tour '74 was released LAST YEAR and has an extended friendly commmentary between Gerry McAvoy and Donal Gallgher as one of the bonus features of the DVD. Listen to the commenatry on that DVD before you make your silly comments to my post.
RoryfanBrisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Books and Biographies. Articles and Magazines