Books of Rory Gallagher

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: Books of Rory Gallagher

Postby maapji » 16 Apr 2012, 14:39

Thanks, deuce, you've been very helpful ;)
maapji

Postby deuce » 16 Apr 2012, 17:29

My pleasure maapji, always happy to help ;)
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby BIBI » 16 Apr 2012, 21:21

Oeps...I've read the German version...!!!
BIBI

Postby deuce » 17 Apr 2012, 10:49

To my mind the original is written in rather simple language, full of common speech expressions, nothing wrong with that really, only the translators didn´t bother to get across the meaning but rather translated word by word, which I found rather disadvantageously, not to mention the grammatical errors...

Plus, (sorry to mention this again but it really upsets me everytime it comes to my mind) I got so tired of the money comments, low wages this, no bonuses that, jesus christ, 99.9% of musicians would give all they had to have one day on the road with Rory....ok, rant over.

Here´s a spot on review of the German book if anyone is interested.
...my heart´s in trouble, my soul´s on fire...
deuce

Postby BIBI » 17 Apr 2012, 18:46

Money rules the world, Deuce...unfortunately!!!
BIBI

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Apr 2012, 18:41

It is a sad fact money rules the world. What me and Susie would have done just to play ONE day with Rory. It would have been the greatest days of our lives.....Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Dave » 31 May 2012, 16:29

Shin Kicker wrote:Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer, and Trower by Dan Muise is quite good. It's not exclusively about Rory, but it has 85 pages in the Rory Gallagher section.

Muise's book is EXCELLENT on Rory, good AND bad on Steve (he basically skips over the Small Faces, half of whom were dead and unavailable for interviewing, and besides which have been extensively covered elsewhere, but it's still strange to see them practically written out of the Marriott story), and the Rick and Robin segments are serviceable (I have less interest in those two).

Also, in another thread I saw a reference to A Star Was Born in My Brother's Band by Oliver Tobin and although I haven't read this book, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it here in this thread.
Dave

Postby SUBY1974 » 14 Jun 2012, 21:00

I have the book A Star Was Born in My Brother's Band by Oliver Tobin. I found it a good read but from a writer's point of view it could have been better published and there was a lot of grammatical errors. However it gives a wonderful insight into Rory's teenagehood and his time in the Fontana and Impact Showbands where he developed his style etc. As soon as I bought the book, I did wonder what Rory sounded like at 16 or 17 in the showband and then a month later Tom O'Leary released all the Fontana showband memorabilia and Eamon O'Sullivan released the cine footage. Believe me I was absolutely thrilled.

Here are you tube clips of Oliver Tobin introducing his book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMByXVbuqwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIjk2UEYNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTawXeGN ... ure=relmfu
SUBY1974

Postby Tibor77 » 09 Sep 2012, 08:59

deuce wrote:I for one found it very entertaining, there are lots of funny stories in it. Some knowledgeable members here mentioned historical inaccuracies though.
What I absolutely didn´t like about the book was that constant talk about money. I don´t know what the intentions were but it reflected poorly on all involved, which I found absolutely unnecessary and sad. That really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Whatever you decide, beware of the German version of the book, the worst translation I´ve ever got my hands on.

I liked the book, but the constant nagging about money is embarrassing. Othern than that, there are not many books available, but I am looking forward to the new one which is to be published in October.
Tibor77

Postby Inanna » 04 Jul 2013, 21:44

thank god i know him so well......so well that i hardly need a book to know him.
Don't know who he was......never saw him, met him & even talked to him......
But still he is growing out of me......completely out of me & I can't stop it just can't stop !
He exists in my life, totally exists !
Inanna

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies