Books of Rory Gallagher

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Books of Rory Gallagher

Postby JimLED » 27 Nov 2010, 01:36

Which of presented books written about Rory do you love to read more and more?

And which books you haven't read yet?

I readed only Rising Shotgun. I'm interesting to hear from you what other books about! :)

Jim
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: Books of Rory Gallagher

Postby SUBY1974 » 28 Nov 2010, 14:20

I read Riding Shotgun by Gerry McAvoy and it is really good and as far as I know the most accurate to date. I would like to read the biography by Jean Noel Coghe cos Donal approved that. Donal Gallagher did say he would be doing a photo biography on Rory I think, as well as a written biography. His will be the most accurate as he grew up with Rory and was there all the way through Rory's monumental music career. So I am really looking forward to that in the future. I also still feel one can learn about Rory from his songs and interviews. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2010, 14:47

SUBY1974 wrote:I read Riding Shotgun by Gerry McAvoy and it is really good and as far as I know the most accurate to date.

Hi Suby,

Sorry to have to correct you here. But as you say Riding Shotgun is at first a good read. But once I'd heard Donal say about the inaccuracies that were in the book. I changed my mind slightly. With also the grief that was caused to the Gallagher family with certain untruths wrote in the book. Leading to Donal now wanting to put the record straight, with his own bio. You can't say really RS is the most accurate to date.

The others as you pointed out Suby. Have all had the approval of Donal and the Gallagher family. As far as I know?
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 28 Nov 2010, 16:11

Is it true that GM changed name of his book?

Few points about Riding Shotgun. I'd like to speak about quality of the paper and hardcover. First, when I got that book from German Ebay I gave it to read to few friends of mine (one is Karen. Jay Jay you might to know her :) ) And I had found that hardcover was ready for only one complete readings. After second reading of the book hadcover been half destroyed. Many of pages flew out of my book like Forest Gump's feather..:)) And when I wished to scan pages for convert them to text format (I did only first chapter) the hardcover been completely destroyed :)

Jim
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Nov 2010, 16:30

Hey Jim ... "I Wonder Who" is trying to tell you something?

My copy which is lost in the bottom of a draw somewhere, after I heard what Donal Gallagher thought about it. Is not a hardcover, it's paperback.
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 28 Nov 2010, 16:44

For me it was a first book about Rory. I haven't knew about truth or false when i got it. And I tried to read it carefully... but.. the thing should be strong for reading. Even guitar magazines has hardcover stronger than RS book. And nice Rory pictures. 20 minutes of photosession - as result, three pages out. :)
JimLED

Postby SUBY1974 » 28 Nov 2010, 19:26

Sorry i had no idea that Riding Shotgun upset Rory's family! I guess really only Donal can put the record straight. I think in an interview Donal did say he approved the Jean Noel Coghe biography but he did say it does not reveal everything about Rory. I think we just have to wait until Donal's book comes out. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Micky » 05 Jun 2011, 22:43

Theres another 'interesting' book that features a fairly large chapter on Taste & Rory's early solo career up to 1972 called-

BLUES-ROCK EXPLOSION
from the ALLMAN BROTHERS to the YARDBIRDS
(Sixties rock series)
The book includes chapters on-

The Allman brothers
Eric Clapton solo also with the group Cream & Derek & the Dominos
Blind Faith
Black cat bone-Paul Kossoff's early band
Bakerloo blues band
Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
John Mayall's Bluebreakers
Ten Years Ater
Savoy brown
The Yardbirds
Johnny Winter
Taste & Rory Gallagher solo

...as well as several other blues/rock bands from the 1960s.
The author concentrates on the time-period from about 1965-1972 claiming that all the above artists & bands produced there 'best work' between those dates (in his opinion) so therefore theres quite a number of pages on the Taste years and a couple on the early Rory solo period up to 1972 afterwhich the author just glosses over the remaining years of the artists and bands mentined in the book.
Last edited by Micky on 06 Jun 2011, 04:22, edited 2 times in total.
Micky

Postby Shin Kicker » 05 Jun 2011, 22:49

Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer, and Trower by Dan Muise is quite good. It's not exclusively about Rory, but it has 85 pages in the Rory Gallagher section.
Shin Kicker

Postby Simone67 » 06 Jun 2011, 15:10

Hi,

in your poll you name a second book by Jean Noel Coghe,JimLed.-I knew only of the first one,which I have. (and that,during my second read,fell to bits on me..."I-wonder-who" might also be trying to say something to me?! :lol:

Riding shotgun I have read,too,paperback.- But I do look so forward to Donal`s bio on Rory,to finally put things straight, first hand !!Amen.
Simone67

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies