"that book"

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

"that book"

Postby CiaSeattle » 08 Sep 2015, 16:18

I almost hate to bring this up, as it seems to draw some very heated debate, but...I would like to know if the McAvoy book is worth reading at all. Are there any interesting stories of the early days that would make it worth the time? Not to mention the cost, I've not seen it for less than $120 (used copies) here in the states.
CiaSeattle

Re: "that book"

Postby capo » 08 Sep 2015, 17:05

Before I replied to this, I checked EBay and other sources besides Amazon to see if I could steer you into a less expensive direction. No such luck I'm afraid. I doubt that this book will ever be reprinted so the cost will remain high. Maybe someone on the forum who wants to sell their copy at a reasonable price will contact you. Leaving aside all the negative things I could say about "Riding Shotgun", as a Rory fan, it is worthwhile reading. Gerry supplies an abundance of great and entertaining anecdotes about life on the road with Rory. He provides insights into behind the scenes life in the studio and without. You get a real feel for the life Rory led on the road and the other musicians, famous and otherwise, they encountered. It is mandatory reading I think if you are a Rory fan. I will keep my pledge and keep this positive. Others can weigh in on the negative. Hope this helps and you can find a lower priced copy somewhere. Peace.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Sep 2015, 17:44

That book is out of print, and I know it is outrageously expensive. I bought a copy way back when, and it has crossed my mind in the past that I could put it on ebay and make a sizeable chunk of change on it. Forge Gerry's autograph, and I could make even more. :lol:

But if you want a recommendation on a very good book about Rory, I would highly recommend Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer, Trower: Their Lives and Music by Dan Muise. And I am so looking forward to reading Donal's book when it comes out. Also, Rory Gallagher: His Life and Times by Marcus Connaughton is pretty good.
RobertaSparrow

Postby AnnaMaria » 08 Sep 2015, 17:53

It´s very expensive to buy it here in Sweden if you want to read it in English. I, for once, had som use for my Three years of studying the German language 35 years ago. I bought it in German about 10£. I didn´t mind Reading the book at all. Ofcourse parts of it is very sad. I guess Gerry is explaning his point of view and thoughts. I don´t care if dates or Towns are wrong in the book. That´s not important to me. Maybe there are more mistakes: were Teds jeans too big or too small? I don´t care about that either. When you read such a book you have to read it with a pinch of salt anyway. If you weren´t there, well, then you´ll never know exactly what happened or who said what but maybe you can come Close to the truth and that´s good enough for me. However, Gerrys nagging about not getting paid enough is boring but if that is what he feels well what can we do...
Remember, I only write what I feel and think. You might have a totally different opinion about it. And guess what; that´s perfectly fine too!
AnnaMaria

Postby capo » 08 Sep 2015, 18:07

If we are going to offer other suggestions, I love Jean-Noel Coghe's book, "Rory Gallagher: A Biography". Its more a memoir of Rory than a biography. Also full of great anecdotes about Rory touring in Europe through the years from a journalist who became a friend. It has a certain charm that I can't explain. Not great biography, but an enjoyable read. Gee, I may have a future writing blurbs for the back of books! :mrgreen:
capo

Postby Sid_Sidow » 08 Sep 2015, 19:13

I was able to find the book in my public library.

There was a lot of good information, but as mentioned before, I felt a little anger in some of the situations.
Mostly money, and some lack of respect......
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby CiaSeattle » 09 Sep 2015, 03:13

Thank you all for the reviews and suggestions. Unfortunately the nearest library carrying the book appears to be about 1800 miles away! Guess I'll be saving my pennies.
CiaSeattle

Postby JimLED » 09 Sep 2015, 08:25

I bought this book a way back when it was $44 at german eBay.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Sep 2015, 16:46

JimLED wrote:I bought this book a way back when it was $44 at german eBay.

In hindsight now finding out about the wrongful information in the book. I would not have payed $4 for this book.. that Donal referred to as Riding Roughshod with the first editions.
Gerry did apologies though to Donal for the wrongful information a few years later..
For some of the embarrassing mistakes Mr Crisp put incorrectly in the book :(

Don't know if the mistakes have been omitted in later editions????
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 10 Sep 2015, 08:50

Jay Jay wrote:
JimLED wrote:I bought this book a way back when it was $44 at german eBay.

In hindsight now finding out about the wrongful information in the book. I would not have payed $4 for this book.. that Donal referred to as Riding Roughshod with the first editions.
Gerry did apologies though to Donal for the wrongful information a few years later..
For some of the embarrassing mistakes Mr Crisp put incorrectly in the book :(

Don't know if the mistakes have been omitted in later editions????

I don't think there was ever a subsequent edition done.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies