Question for people who read 'Riding Shotgun'

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Question for people who read 'Riding Shotgun'

Postby IrishBlues » 15 Mar 2014, 21:44

I would like to ask to those of you who read Gerry McAvoys book 'Riding Shotgun' about Mark Feltham's clinical depression.
I read a review stating there was a story regarding his depression and how it put no one in a good light and how times have changed.

I'm intrigued and want to know just what is meant.Sorry if the question is somewhat in-appropriate to some and if it is then have it locked :)
IrishBlues

Re: Question for people who read 'Riding Shotgun'

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Mar 2014, 02:04

I'm not a big fan of that book, Riding Shotgun. There is mention in the book about Mark suffering from clinical depression. I don't know if that is true or not. I can only say, there are many people who are prone to clinical depression, and it can be quite severe and debilitating if untreated, and in some social circles sufferers are still unfairly stigmatized by it. I know that because I have suffered from it all my life, and I am certain many people reading this have as well, or have family members similarly affected.

To say "it put no one in a good light" I would interpret as that stigma that others paint of someone so affected. And, yes, times have changed- like many health conditions we find a way to live with it and move on- it is very treatable these days, not so much in the 60's, 70's, even the 80's.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 03 Jun 2014, 12:12

Do you have a link to the review? I'm not an expert, but I have the book and I'll take a look. It really is amazing how views and treatment of depression have changed over time, although I don't think they have changed enough. I see depression in particular and mental illness in general being some of the last bastions of prejudice and misunderstanding. Things are better than they were, but I still see the misinformed attitudes and bias people have toward those afflicted with an illness lacking an obvious physical manifestation.

I think these guys lived a really difficult life, always on the road, exhausted, too much alcohol, etc. That would make me depressed! But there is a world of difference between situational depression and clinical depression, and not near enough compassion and care for those who experience either.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 05 Jun 2014, 22:21

Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby handyt » 06 Jun 2014, 12:19

i read RSG & found it a great read.
i'm NOT an avid reader but am an avid fan of Rory and have thirst for info.
i'm not too great fan of Gerry he does too much crowd waving, leave it to us to get in a frenzy Gerry, play well and you'll reap the rewards.
i know theres some shit gone down about some comments in the book but hey ho its one or two mens opinions of how and what with who and when with some whys historically written i guess most from memory.
if i was recounting what happened with me and my mates in the 1970@s i know some facts will undoubtably get distorted or even be gilded at the lily?"!
so who really gives a shit.
theres even a sentence which asks a question about Rory's sexual level??
if it's not fact but a question or query it's up to the reader to draw his or her own conclusions, i've drawn mine and theres nothing in it for me.
Clinically depressed, i work with 5 thousand people and some may be depressed and if i can help i would if i can't i suggest experts be called, period.
i would focus on the positives as life gets both positives and negatives but jokingly thats an electricians job.
life for me is simple, work and earn and look after your family, if you can finance friends and others i will by means of gifts, love, friendship.
i can only help i can't cure.
so live life to the full drink as much alchohol as your limits allow make friends and love and have great life its too short to piss about with and it's certainly NOT a rehearsal.
Tom Handy just an ordinary guy leading an ordinary life........however i'm living my dream.
weekends here lets party!!! yeehar
handyt

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 Jun 2014, 17:49

I'm about as tired hearing about Gerry and his book as Samuel L Jackson was about Snakes on a Plane, if you get my drift. :roll:
RobertaSparrow

Postby mac » 07 Jun 2014, 12:49

Well written Tom,
we have a similar lifestyle and view on life.
I remember one of my highflyer friends a few years ago saying that I lived a very simple life and I felt a bit insulted, but then I thought about it and he was right and guess what I'm very happy !
Oh and my view on Gerry's book is the same as yours.
mac

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies