Any input on the book "Rory Gallagher Life and times"?

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: Any input on the book "Rory Gallagher Life and times"?

Postby capo » 11 Feb 2014, 19:35

As to "Ridin Shotgun", I have in the past and will continue to not post the diatribe against that despicable 'book' that's been simmering in me for years. I will say this, it has effected me on a very personal level, it has coloured how I listen to my favorite all time artist's music because the disloyal McAvoy is such a big part of the sound. He, as a bass player, was excellent, and as Rory said many times, musical ESP between them that was magical at times. I try to, and most of the time, just enjoy the music, but at times, the knowledge of what Gerry really thought of Rory and how he would stab him in the back when he was dead and gone and unable to defend himself, poisons the music at times by his betrayal. And to see him now, sucking a living off of Rory's musical legacy, is sickening, when he choose not to aid Rory while he was still alive and in his time of need. Well, I said more then I intended, and not very articulate at that. But I'll let it go. Its good to vent sometimes. Peace
capo

Postby Tom Jonas » 11 Feb 2014, 19:40

Gerry's book is very interesting, but I agree completely with previous comments. The overall impression of Mr Gerry McAvoy (as Rory presented him on the concerts) is not completely positive.
However, he is an excellent basist. He contributed a lot to the sound of Rory's Music. Together with very good drummers.
Tom Jonas

Postby Steve86 » 21 Jun 2014, 13:00

Got the paperback of Marcus Connaughton's Rory Gallagher: His Life and Times in the post. It's the same thing as the hardback with one noticeable and important change. In the acknowledgements section on page 171, the reference to Donal Gallagher has been removed.

In the hardback 2012 edition, the acknowledgements section stated: 'In Cork ; a special thank you to Donal Gallagher for the words and Rory for the music'

In the paperback 2014 edition, the acknowledgements section has been changed to: 'In Cork ; a special thank you to Rory for the music'

There is now no mention of Donal Gallagher in the acknowledgements section and he is not thanked anywhere here. This implies that Donal Gallagher was never interviewed specifically for this book and was not involved in its development or creation. If true, this casts Marcus Connaughton's 'biography' of Donal's brother in a very different light. Especially when you consider that Donal managed Rory for so long and knew him better than anyone.

It also raises serious questions about the accuracy of Rory Gallagher: His Life and Times and the motivations of its author.
Steve86

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Jun 2014, 18:26

Steve86 wrote:Got the paperback of Marcus Connaughton's Rory Gallagher: His Life and Times in the post. It's the same thing as the hardback with one noticeable and important change. In the acknowledgements section on page 171, the reference to Donal Gallagher has been removed.

In the hardback 2012 edition, the acknowledgements section stated: 'In Cork ; a special thank you to Donal Gallagher for the words and Rory for the music'

In the paperback 2014 edition, the acknowledgements section has been changed to: 'In Cork ; a special thank you to Rory for the music'

There is now no mention of Donal Gallagher in the acknowledgements section and he is not thanked anywhere here. This implies that Donal Gallagher was never interviewed specifically for this book and was not involved in its development or creation. If true, this casts Marcus Connaughton's 'biography' of Donal's brother in a very different light. Especially when you consider that Donal managed Rory for so long and knew him better than anyone.

It also raises serious questions about the accuracy of Rory Gallagher: His Life and Times and the motivations of its author.

I don't know that Donal has ever spoken about the book, given his opinion one way or the other. I read the Connaughton book, found it to be interesting, not a lot of new info there, but the book had a generally respectful and affectionate tone toward Rory. To date, the best book IMO is the Muise book, but they all have their faults and weaknesses.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Steve86 » 28 Jun 2014, 14:15

The more I think about it the more it looks like the insertion of 'a special thank you to Donal Gallagher for the words' in the hardback edition is an attempt to give the wrong impression.

As Donal doesn't seem to have been involved at all in this book, it looks like the author attempted to decieve readers into thinking that Donal was involved by mentioning him and thanking him for 'the words' in the acknowledgements section of the hardback. This may have been done to give the false impression that the author had the backing of Rory's family and to imply that the author had done more research for this book than he actually did.

This would explain why there is nothing really new in Marcus Connaughton's book. He didn't interview Donal or any members of the Gallagher family specifically for this book. No members of the Gallagher family appear in the acknowledgements section of the paperback apart from 'Rory for the music'. The whole thing is very curious.
Steve86

Postby philipcuss » 21 Aug 2014, 14:35

Excuse my cynicism but to me the Marcus Connaughton book looks like a cynical attempt to cash in on the Rory Gallagher name. This might explain why Donal had nothing to do with this book.

On the cover of the paperback, it is claimed that Record Collector described this book as 'scores highly'. This claim is intentionally misleading and taken out of context. What Record Collector actually said in their review was 'This book scores highly in the photographic department'

The same review went on to say 'In fact, a picture book with bigger images and less text would have made perfect sense.' Hardly a ringing endorsement of the author or the book.
philipcuss

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Aug 2014, 19:55

There are worse books out there.
RobertaSparrow

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies