Any input on the book "Rory Gallagher Life and times"?

Do you read me, well won't you tell me? If you read me, then please believe me, when I say

Re: New Book about Rory

Postby innuendo » 25 Oct 2012, 16:03

i'm waiting for donal's book
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby loulamb » 31 Oct 2012, 20:02

me also, I have read Marcus Connaughton's book I like the bit about sexism in lyrics and how Rory felt about that. In the independent article you posted;

quote " When even his brother and manager Donal can admit -- "Whatever he was feeling, good or bad, he kept very much to himself. I can't say that we ever had an in-depth personal conversation. There wasn't a lot said between us"

- I can't get my head around that!?!
loulamb

Postby Simone67 » 31 Oct 2012, 20:54

I`ve had the book on my bedside table for a couple days but haven`t had any chance to read it yet.- Will hopefully delve in this weekend.

...It must be extremely difficult for anyone to write anything new and / or exciting at large about somebody who was as private and secluded,at a personal level,as Rory !
Quite some challenge I would say,and am looking forward to read !
Simone67

Postby Steve86 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:55

I too am waiting for Donal's official Rory Gallagher biography. At this stage I've had enough of these fan biographies which are just the same thing rehashed and rewritten.

I'm beginning to think that the existing biographies were just written for egotistical reasons by old fans trying to link themselves to Rory. I really hate reading books where the authors seem to delight in talking about themselves or their friends when they should be talking about the subject matter of the book i.e. Rory.

Donal's book should be an authorative account by someone who really did know Rory because he was there. In that sense Donal is the only one qualified to write Rory's proper comprehensive biography. So far no one has managed to write this.
Steve86

Postby Jay Jay » 05 Nov 2012, 17:03

Just finished the Rory Gallagher "His Life an Times!" book by Marcus Connaughton..
It was not that bad a book, although nothing at all new really for a RORY FANATIC!

Very disappointed in last chapter "Legacy". That Marcus never mentioned the two guys that have done SO MUCH for RORY'S LEGACY over the past 10 to 17 years. Barry Barnes (Sinnerboy) British Rory Gallagher Tribute and Barry O'Neill with The International Rory Gallagher 4 Day festival with ..
THE RORY GALLAGHER STATUE and THE RORY GALLAGHER THEATRE now in Ballyshannon ????
Jay Jay

Any input on the book "Rory Gallagher Life and times"?

Postby Jimmy » 22 Jan 2014, 18:28

Hi folks,
I seen a book that is out called Rory Gallagher His life and times ( I think it was). Has anyone read this? More importantly, has anyone heard Donal's view on this read? Thanks ....Jimmy
Jimmy

Re: Any input on the book "Rory Gallagher Life and times"?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Jan 2014, 18:55

I've read every book about Rory that I could get my hands on. The Marcus Connaughton book has been reviewed on the forum here. I don't know if Donal ever commented on the book, but I'm 99% sure he knows about it, and has read it.

So far, my own favorite, for what its worth, is Dan Muise's book, Gallagher, Marriott, Derringer, and Trower, although I think it could have been cited better. And we're all waiting for Donal to finish his book (no pressure though). I think an interesting book would be one of a collaboration with Donal and Tom. Between the two of them there could be some interesting and insightful stories- just a thought. ;)

(and that would take some of the pressure off Donal) :D
RobertaSparrow

Postby Annie Elliott » 26 Jan 2014, 23:35

It will be quite fun to read the new Connaughton book. I just ordered Gerry's Riding Shotgun Book.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 15 Jun 2015, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Tibbierocks » 03 Feb 2014, 14:24

The only book I've read on Rory is riding shotgun. Bear in mind I'm a very new rory fan (this will be my 2nd year), but I couldn't help but notice whilst no one seems to have a bad word to say about Rory, Gerry did. Gerry moans about money through out. I also note he didn't help Rory in regards to his drinking - taking him down the pub... I couldn't help but think Gerry was a little sore that he wasn't the star of the show.

Is Donal really writting a book? Excellent.

Sorry what did Rory say about sexism in lyrics? I can't imagine he was too keen on this.
Tibbierocks

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Feb 2014, 17:58

Tibbierocks wrote:The only book I've read on Rory is riding shotgun. Bear in mind I'm a very new rory fan (this will be my 2nd year), but I couldn't help but notice whilst no one seems to have a bad word to say about Rory, Gerry did. Gerry moans about money through out. I also note he didn't help Rory in regards to his drinking - taking him down the pub... I couldn't help but think Gerry was a little sore that he wasn't the star of the show.

Is Donal really writting a book? Excellent.

Sorry what did Rory say about sexism in lyrics? I can't imagine he was too keen on this.

I have commented on Riding Shotgun in several threads, IMO it is mostly about Gerry blowing his own horn. He comes across as jealous, petty, and somewhat vindictive. There are factual errors in the book, and much of the information that is in there is borrowed from other sources. Apologists for Gerry's book would say it is an honest, "warts and all" depiction, but again, IMO it is mostly a self-serving exercise in its author tearing Rory down to build himself up. And Rory is not in a position to refute any of it-
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER & TASTE ~ Books and Biographies